Clutch cable options....

General spannery stuff
slix2110
On the Road
Facebook address thingy: sussex hydrografix

Re: Clutch cable options....

Post by slix2110 »

Venhills told me yesterday that they held no details of Raptor cables & I would have to send my old one for them to copy (about £29) I will do this soon but in the meantime nipped down to Wemoto and got a £13 TL1000s one, straightened the metal sleeves & it went straight on. Bargain!
Plums
On the Road

Post by Plums »

That's cool Slix, which raptor do you have?

Cheers.
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

TL 1000S fits the Raptor1000 and probably the VRaptor too, not sure if the 650 has the same, with the cagiva part number being different (and different price) I'm guessing there must be some changes.
But hopefully someone who owns/has owned both will know. ??

I've just got hold of the used Suzuki GS500E cable, the outer sheath's about 40mm longer than the cagiva one (which broke years ago and has been hanging about in the shed for measuring purposes ever since) and the lever end nipple is much bigger

I may poke it about round the Rappy and see if it will fit, if not maybe it will fit someone's 650
otherwise it's stores :oops:
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
weirdo
On the Road

Post by weirdo »

Tried a TL1000s cable on my V-Rap - no good, it was about 2" too short if I remember.
To a Raptor....EVERYTHING else is just prey !!

WOOHOO!...TWINS!
AZ
On the Road

Post by AZ »

I have a TL1000S cable fitted to my v-rap,no problem and i also straightened out the metal bits.I do have to say that they don`t last long,3 cables in the last 12k miles and the last one only did 800 miles before pulling the cable out of the nipple :pinch: .The clutch seems very heavy and i often end up with arm pump despite keeping the cables clean and well lubed.
NOTE; bikes do not have air brakes,lofting the front wheel will have an effect on a bikes braking efficiency.
dont arf get the adrenalin pumpin tho!!!
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

Sounds like Venhill may be the way to go for most of us then :ride:
weirdo wrote:55 years agoTried a TL1000s cable on my V-Rap - no good, it was about 2" too short if I remember.
Ah yes I seem to recall the Vrap needs a longer cable (has flatter bars? maybe the TL1000R?)
SnappY
AZ
On the Road

Post by AZ »

TLR has a hydraulic clutch .I haven`t had any probs with the TLS cable being long enough as long as i don`t route it through the cable loop under the top yoke,no tight spots and this is my 3rd one.If i was going to keep my bike any longer i would deffo change to hydraulic,it was a much lighter action on my mates TLR..
NOTE; bikes do not have air brakes,lofting the front wheel will have an effect on a bikes braking efficiency.
dont arf get the adrenalin pumpin tho!!!
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

AZ wrote:55 years ago-/-
.I do have to say that they don`t last long,3 cables in the last 12k miles
-/-.
Ooer, what can be going wrong? I've had the TL cable on since 2007 or thereabouts which must be about 35,000 miles ago
SnappY
slix2110
On the Road
Facebook address thingy: sussex hydrografix

Post by slix2110 »

Its an '01 1000 normale. Took it out today with new TLs cable, no problems except slightly heavier action, no doubt caused by me routing it badly.
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

slix2110 wrote:55 years agoIts an '01 1000 normale. Took it out today with new TLs cable, no problems except slightly heavier action, no doubt caused by me routing it badly.
same year as mine (though she started as a V)
<think> Has it been raining much in your area Slix?
on the occcasions that the Rap has been rained on hard (overnight without a cover, rained on when parked at work or riding in rain) that has been when the clutch has felt heavy later or the next day.
I'm starting to think that the lining is absorbing water when there's a lot of it about which I'm not sure is possible - maybe it's just my old fingers get stiffer in the wet weather :?
SnappY
shedmonkey
APM

Post by shedmonkey »

Wouldnt think the lining would absorb water(the cold can cause any lubricant to thicken :cold: ) but if there are any breaks in the outer skin water can get in and corrode in that area which can cause them to stick. A pressure cable oiler might be a good idea ,they clamp on one end and force oil down the inner cable. The other thing which can be a problem are sharp bends and also the clutch end worm maybe needs cleaning and greasing. Its probably time i gave mine some tlc its getting a bit noticeable. :nod:
Bit of a Muppet
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

hmm see I would have thought the tech would have greased the worm on mine when replacing the pushrod and seal, but maybe not :doh:
SnappY
shedmonkey
APM

Post by shedmonkey »

i have just had a look at my worm thingy and its quite a low friction item ,if you do take it to pieces have a clean cloth or paper beneath it to catch all the little balls that fall out :angry: then clean and glue the balls in place with fresh grease :nod: so prob just cable issues.
Bit of a Muppet
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

ahh yes I remember all the little balls falling out last time :pinch:
SnappY
weirdo
On the Road

Post by weirdo »

shedmonkey wrote:55 years agoi have just had a look at my worm thingy .... :haha:

:woot: Ooer fnarr fnarr
To a Raptor....EVERYTHING else is just prey !!

WOOHOO!...TWINS!