On the Road

anybody from northwest

Post by Jayjayridge »

ok so who is local to me or nearby blackpool
shedmonkey
APM

Re: anybody from northwest

Post by shedmonkey »

Im Carlisle so thats about 90 miles ish?
Bit of a Muppet
Red Mist
On the Road

Post by Red Mist »

I'm the other side of Burnley from you, which is about as far away from Blackpool as you can get and still be considered 'North West'. I get to Glasson Dock and Knob End a bit though.
shedmonkey
APM

Post by shedmonkey »

i hear Glasson dock mentioned a lot (and i am near often but never been) so whats happening there?
Bit of a Muppet
Red Mist
On the Road

Post by Red Mist »

Glasson Dock is just a pleasant place to call into. It's quite pretty and has a good buttie van - actually more of a static caravan - and one or two other cafes. It's a little bit twee, but there you go. Many years ago I used to tear round places like Wigan, Bolton and Warrington on a hardtail chop drinking beer and being rowdy. Now I have a network of favourite cafes and tea rooms where I can call in and get a bacon buttie and a cuppa.

It's one of those places where bikers rub shoulders with OAPs. In fact, many of the bikers there are OAPs. It's where the canal system for Lancaster and surrounding area meets the sea and there is a nice marina and dock there, so it's nice on a sunny day. It doesn't get as packed as Hartside, Devil's Bridge or Rivi Barn, but it's a nice enough and you can get a couple of dozen bikes there at a time.

If you'll google it, you will probably see some nice photos of the place, but not necessarily when the bikes are there. If you fancy calling in sometime, drop me a line and I'll meet up with you. Meet up with Jayjay at the same time maybe?
shedmonkey
APM

Post by shedmonkey »

sounds cool but the next question knob end? sorry wasnt being abusive :lol:
ps sorry for hijacking thread
Bit of a Muppet
Red Mist
On the Road

Post by Red Mist »

Actual name - Knott End. A bit juvenile but you know how it is. :roll:

Knott End is about 15 - 20 mins on from Glasson Dock. It's on the other side of the River Wyre estuary from Fleetwood. There's a ferry runs from one side to the other when the tide's in. It's also a local destination for bikes as there is a bike-friendly cafe situated right next to the jetty.

It mainly does its bike business on a Wednesday night during the summer when quite a few bikes show up. It's ok because you get quite a variety there with stuff like old Brits and Harley chops as well as Japs old and new and the ubiquitous BMWs.

I don't know that I'd recommend coming down from Cumbria to go there but I mentioned it as a place that Jayjay might go to. Still, if you have a mind to explore that part of the coast one day when you're at a loose end, then you know where to plan your pitstops.
dizzyblonde
On the Road

Post by dizzyblonde »

Do they still have Fylde Bike night in the summer?

Been a year or five since I went there.

I'm from over the dark side .....
Yellow 2001 SV650s,2002 VRaptor
Your Rapter looks like a sci fi robot dragon! and it breaths fire too! It singed my eye brows and boiled my eyes at the lights! smudge
Red Mist
On the Road

Post by Red Mist »

dizzyblonde wrote:55 years agoDo they still have Fylde Bike night in the summer?

Been a year or five since I went there.

I'm from over the dark side .....
If the Fylde Bike Night is the do at Knott End caff, then yes they do. Last one should have been in August but they had one in early September this year while the weather was nice. Don't go there for the bike nights really as they are on a Wednesday and for some reason I don't see that as a 'going out' night.