Round Britain Rally 2013

Do your planning here, and let us know how it went!
Miz
On the Road

Round Britain Rally 2013

Post by Miz »

This years list has arrived, so I'm going to be quiet for a few days/weeks whilst researching the locations and plotting routes.... :)

Have also been offered a pass to go off for a week during the summer, so may end up doing a quick lap of the North :D
152/999
snapdragon

Re: Round Britain Rally 2013

Post by snapdragon »

Jammie git

:thumbsup:
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
Miz
On the Road

Post by Miz »

Well, tha pass has been checked and verified, so I'm planning to set off on Fri 3rd May, will be home on Fri 10th May and should've blown the cobwebs out, have a route planned of around 2,400 miles.

I'll post up the towns/areas I'll be passing through along the way.

Hope the snow has cleared in the Highlands :cold:
152/999
Miz
On the Road

Post by Miz »

Well, its day 2 and I'm in Glenfarg, have found 12 Landmarks on the way here and am averaging 310 miles per day, looking at nearly 350 miles tomorrow ending up above Inverness, then heading over to Skye via Achuvoldrach, weather OK, fresh :cold: but dry. Am loving the new tyres, not had a serious twitch out of them yet, and that's with a mixture of motorways down through to single track roads :D
152/999
dizzyblonde
On the Road

Post by dizzyblonde »

Lovely jubbly, what tyres you running?

Was supposed to be up Scottishlands at the end of the month...pennies haven't fallen from.heaven though :(

Have a great trip!
Yellow 2001 SV650s,2002 VRaptor
Your Rapter looks like a sci fi robot dragon! and it breaths fire too! It singed my eye brows and boiled my eyes at the lights! smudge
Red Mist
On the Road

Post by Red Mist »

I should be up in Scotland next weekend.

Suppose you'll have moved on by then though.
Miz
On the Road

Post by Miz »

Well, I'm just heading over to Skye in the morning and am planning to be back in Derby on Friday morning...

Scotland Pictures
152/999
Miz
On the Road

Post by Miz »

Made it back in one piece, 2340miles in 8 days, all LM's found, tried out 3 different ferries, visited Arran for the first time (for about 15 minutes).

Only problems with the bike is a blown rear indicator bulb (its a weird size, so new indicators required), had some time on a 500cc single Xtra in some of the heavier rain, so need to check out the front plug cap/HT Lead/Coil.

Looks like I've used about half the "new" rear tyre, so should be getting about 5K out of it before having to replace it.
152/999
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

:thumbsup: flippin 'eck Miz did you have time to sleep? :lol:
SnappY
Miz
On the Road

Post by Miz »

snapdragon wrote:55 years ago:thumbsup: flippin 'eck Miz did you have time to sleep? :lol:
One eye at a time :wink:
152/999
Red Mist
On the Road

Post by Red Mist »

Miz wrote:55 years agoMade it back in one piece, 2340miles in 8 days, all LM's found, tried out 3 different ferries, visited Arran for the first time (for about 15 minutes).

Only problems with the bike is a blown rear indicator bulb (its a weird size, so new indicators required), had some time on a 500cc single Xtra in some of the heavier rain, so need to check out the front plug cap/HT Lead/Coil.

Looks like I've used about half the "new" rear tyre, so should be getting about 5K out of it before having to replace it.
Just got back from Scotland myself. It's been the wettest trip so far. Did just under 1000 miles in 3 days, but not exactly without problems.

I'd already had plenty of '500 single' experience so I got a new plug cap for the front pot before I left. Constant rain from Glasgow onwards didn't seem to bother the bike and I thought I'd fixed it. However it went onto one pot for the last 30 miles. Curses! It rained all Friday night and Saturday morning. We planned on going over to Applecross which I didn't fancy on a semi-Rap.

Fortunately the rain stopped, the roads dried and within 10 miles I was back on two again. Hooray! Sunday was solid rain all the way home, but the bike barely missed a beat, even riding on a sodden motorway with loads of traffic throwing up spray. I'll still be trying for a new lead and some sort of mudguard extender for the front though.

As an aside, does everybody else already know about the B7078/B7076 that runs alongside the M74? Never been on it before but we used it from junction 9 down to Lockerbie on the way home. I presume that this was the main road before the motorway was built. Basically it is a long fast road (eg. you could probably cruise most of it at 120 mph if the bike was up to it) but with NO traffic! :blink: It was like something out of a sci-fi movie, a 'ghost' road or something. Amazing and unreal.
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

:shock: eww scary, I was on some sort of road like that once, was scary place, and I was actually glad to see the turn onto the M1.

AND the one-pot in the rain problem -- couldn't fit a fender extender on mine as the mudguard seemed too close to the tyre to clear the fixings
But have attached a section of a rubber mud-flap to the back of the radiator to stop the waterspout from the front wheel.
Did this a long while back after having heard from a couple with a Raptor each, that when in rain each noticed on the other's bike that the water thrown off by the front wheel heads straight to the front pot/spark
SnappY
dizzyblonde
On the Road

Post by dizzyblonde »

Oooooooo not seen that road either....but I have now! Will check it out at the end of the month!

It's like a lovely wiggly road we accidentally found when leaving Rosselyn chapel to find the m74....a701 or summat
Yellow 2001 SV650s,2002 VRaptor
Your Rapter looks like a sci fi robot dragon! and it breaths fire too! It singed my eye brows and boiled my eyes at the lights! smudge
Miz
On the Road

Post by Miz »

All finished for this year, managed a Gold award this time around.

Photo's here
152/999
shebee
Site Admin
Facebook address thingy: facebook.com/shebee.duff

Post by shebee »

Well done!
Twisted Tequila Sister