Problems in the wet?

Technical stuff specific to the V and Xtra raptors
Red Mist
On the Road

Re: Problems in the wet?

Post by Red Mist »

I went for a couple of years of riding in kak weather without any problems from the front pot. Then suddenly it decided that it didn't like the rain and I had to ride home with half an engine a few times. This caused some amazement on a couple of rides with other people when I was still keeping up with them, admittedly on pretty twisty roads.

The common advice was to get a new plug cap which I did at mildly considerable expense. I then set off up to Scotland feeling smug, especially as it was still running fine after a couple of hours in heavy rain. When I was truly in the middle of nowhere, it cut out on the front pot again. Curses!! :x

The next day I managed to get a break in the weather, and after 20 minutes on dry roads it sparked up on two again! :) Funnily enough, it then stayed on two for the rest of the journey despite riding all the way from Fort William to Lancashire in solid - and very heavy - rain.

It may be worth splashing out (sic) on a new HT lead and concocting a little mudflap as advised above. I admit that I've treated myself to a new set of wheels for tackling the Winter months this year. Rappy is in the shed with a hot water bottle for the forseeable.
Dante
On the Road

Post by Dante »

I've heard of the issue with the front spark plug at the rain but after riding about 100km's with very heavy rain and even hail without problem,I guess that my bike won't have any problem
Wardy
On the Road

Post by Wardy »

Hmm looks like some are lucky never bothered me in the previous 12 month just this 3 month now... And it's happening in any rain :/ any pictures of thease home made flaps?
Miz
On the Road

Post by Miz »

Wardy wrote:55 years agoHmm looks like some are lucky never bothered me in the previous 12 month just this 3 month now... And it's happening in any rain :/ any pictures of thease home made flaps?
Not got any photo's, but Item 55

The flap is only as wide as the fan, and hangs down at the most 75mm, just enough to protect the plug cap.
152/999