Intro and a round on me - Kevin ( Bolton UK )

Make your first post here, say "Hi" and buy a virtual round
solutrim

Intro and a round on me - Kevin ( Bolton UK )

Post by solutrim »

Good evening all, Bar's open !!!!

Thinking of joining the Raptor clan, as I am fancying a V-Raptor 1000 as my next new ride.

I love my V-twins and V-fours and have owned a few in the past ( I must be a torque freak or something )

Past bikes through the ages

Suzuki ZR 50
Kawasaki AR 80
Yamaha DT 125
Honda MBX 125
Kawasaki GPZ 600r
Honda VFR 750
Yamaha 350 lc
Honda VF 1000 R
Yamagammer ( RG 250 with tuned powervalve engine )
Yamaha 350 YPVS F1
Ducati 851
Honda SP1
Ducati 996 SPS
Honda NC 30
Bultaco Persang
Kawasaki ZXR 750 H1
Bimota YB8
Benelli Tre-K

Current rides

Honda SP1
Honda NC 30
Kawasaki ZXR 750 H1
Yamagammer ( RG 250 with tuned powervalve engine )

Had a few rough years of recent, in which I've had serious back problems which wiped out my left leg, so I can't change gear with my left foot.

3 operations later, and lots of titanium rods and screws, my back is a good deal better but still no use of left leg.

Therefore any bike I consider, either has to be auto or I have to modify it to button change on the handle bar to an actuator on the gear change lever.

The gear change modification isn't as good as using your foot to do it, but at least it gets me on the road and stops me from being restricted to auto bike, as there arn't many about.

My love for V-twins helps me out a little in this department, as I don't have to change gear as often ( just leave it in one gear as much as possible, and let the engine torque do what it's good at ).

Another main reason for fancying a Raptor is the riding position. I've done 2 trips to Spain on my SP1 and 1 on the Tre-k. As you can imagine the SP1 crippled me, and the Tre-k was spot on.

Down side of the Tre-k was the high back end. Although I'm 6'2" I struggled to swing my leg over the back end to become seated, hence another reason I'm looking at the Raptor.

I'm planning to do the Spain trip again this May, so I need to get something sorted before then.

Therefore if there is any one local to me that would let me have a sit on the Raptor it would be much appreciated.

Also is there anything I need to watch out for when purchasing a Raptor, and does any one know of any for sale other than the obvious places.

Thanks and best regards
Don't get too drunk

Kevin
Crap Tartan
On the Road
Location: Sitting in front of the screen in Portpatrick again

Re: Intro and a round on me - Kevin ( Bolton UK )

Post by Crap Tartan »

Welcome in Kev!

Quite a collection you have and have owned over the years!

Anyway I am in Cumbria so if you are ever up my way you are welcome to try for size although mine has been modified a fair bit but ergonomically isnt miles away from a standard V-rap.

Not that many on the market at the moment or ever are to be honest as they are getting rarer all the time, in fact they have never been particularly prevelant.

Check out on here, all the usual places (ebay/bike trader/E&M/gumtree etc.) and best of luck with your search. No reason why it couldnt work for you and should be easy enough to convert.
nil illigitimae carborundum
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

welcome in Kevin :D wow what a list :woot:
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
dizzyblonde
On the Road

Post by dizzyblonde »

Alreet there, you live over the dark side of the hill :lol:
I'm in Halifax. :P

My other half has a dodgy smashed up right leg, but can ride my V comfortable enough. It's not the best mind, as it was built for little Italian boys, as he puts it. I suppose it's what you are used to, hes on a Zzr1400.
One thing to think of is maybe not your leg, but your upper body. A lot of fellas find the V gives a lot of wind force at good speed(over 70 my fella feels it), and they fit a little screen to the horns which helps. I'm 5'7" and I seem to be just under the radar on that one, so don't need a screen(until about 96) :revrev:

I suffer with alsorts of upper joint ailments, and a bit of a weak spot from a lower spinal fracture. I rarely notice as I'm very much in love with my VRaptor. Shame it's hidden by mountains of junk and a cheese plant out in my shed :oops:
Yellow 2001 SV650s,2002 VRaptor
Your Rapter looks like a sci fi robot dragon! and it breaths fire too! It singed my eye brows and boiled my eyes at the lights! smudge
VRaptorMark
On the Road

Post by VRaptorMark »

Heelo mate and welcome.

Bikes bikes and more bikes. :D :D

Love it. :thumbsup:
Better to burn out than just fade away!!
shedmonkey
APM

Post by shedmonkey »

Hope you get one soon, NABD may be able to point you in the right direction re mods. Or what about that Aprilia Mana auto (sorry guys just trying to be helpful dont shoot me)
Bit of a Muppet
Spyke
On the Road

Post by Spyke »

Hey mate, welcome aboard!

A site that might help you is http://cycle-ergo.com/ - you punch in your stats and pick bikes to see how you'll allegedly fit on them. I came across it trying to find bikes for short-arses, and it's pretty crap at telling me whether I can touch the ground on stuff, but at least it should give you a starting point for the Cagivas.
Road racing's where it's at - going round in circles all day is for hamsters.
Red Mist
On the Road

Post by Red Mist »

Hi Kev.

I'm not too far away (other side of Burnley) but my Rap's in bits at the moment so can't let you have a sit.

My right leg is trashed and that's partly what led me to the Rap. I struggle with tall bikes but feel pretty secure on the Cagiva. Still fell over with it a couple of times though :oops: . One thing is that the Suzi gearbox is one of the nicest around, far and away better than the BMW I'm riding at the mo, so most of the gear-change aids that are available should work well with it.

It will involve bent knees for you at over six foot, but I'm only a couple of inches shorter and I've put in a few 400-mile days with no problem.
Spyke
On the Road

Post by Spyke »

I have also seen adjustable pegs for the Raptors, like http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200864803290, M&P seem to do 23mm and 30mm, not cheap, but might be worth the investment to get comfy.

EDIT: Just investigated http://www.kliktronic.co.uk/, after seeing them mentioned in another post, and wanting to know more, looks like a handy bit of kit that might also help you out.
solutrim

Post by solutrim »

My .... aren't we a friendly bunch on here :D

Thanks for all the nice comments and feed back.

I've only gone and done it ... needs a bit of work but I think it was a bargain ebay ref 201046430481
Got to figure out how to get it from Surrey to Bolton now :doh:

Ref the gear change - I joined NABD and they very generously got Klicktronic to supply the gear change actuator set up and I fitted it myself.
I'm also going to do some experimenting with a heel toe gear lever like the used to fit to C90 mopeds as I can stamp down on a pedal ( change down as normal and push down heel to change up )

Adjustable foot pegs - I've seen them before and I might buy a set, or just make an adaptor bracket to change the position.
I'm planning on jacking the back end up a bit to raise the seat height and improve the handing.

Best regards

Kevin
Spyke
On the Road

Post by Spyke »

Yay, well done, I'm sure you'll be happy! :ride:

Looks like you've bought Countedcat's, if my eyes do not deceive me. Yes, this is the nicest of the bike forums I surf, probably to do with the elite type of people that appreciate the raps.:gossip:

Now that it's official I'll take a virtual Long Island iced tea, thanks, it's gonna be 36 today so that should set me up nicely! :beer:
dizzyblonde
On the Road

Post by dizzyblonde »

Now isn't that just great! A Raptor which stays in the fold maybe?

Always a good sign

Greek coffee for me please. I spent half the night with a cat pawing my face in some game it thought funny!
Yellow 2001 SV650s,2002 VRaptor
Your Rapter looks like a sci fi robot dragon! and it breaths fire too! It singed my eye brows and boiled my eyes at the lights! smudge
Fazerstun
Crockery Monitor

Post by Fazerstun »

Ey up! :tada:
I was also going to suggest Kliktronic but you've already beaten me to it ;)
I am not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings. I am a drunk, we go to parties.
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

sheeeeesh you got a bargain there :mrgreen: hardly more than run-in mileage

I'd offer to ride it up for you but I might get lost and your mileage might be a tad high by the time I got there :roll: :wink:

in the meantime I'll take another glass of Madeira ta :dance:
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>