Raptor Failure or Not ???

Technical stuff specific to the Raptor 1000
RaptorJo
On the Road

Raptor Failure or Not ???

Post by RaptorJo »

hi guys

Advise (help) needed.

Bit of history - Rappy running fine, changed oil about a month ago (needed doing and embarrassingly quite low!!) raptor running fine.

Home from commute thurs and coolant appeared to be leaking no obvious drip, but coolant sprayed on left engine casing, bit of Radex engine left running - no leak. After turning the engine off I noticed noise coming from the fuel tank like pressure building, I undid cap and it stopped locked it again and it started but appeared to be quietening down so left it.
Came to it this morning and there was what seemed to be an oily residue around the bottom as you look at the top of the petrol cap. Wiped it away and took it out for a test run to make sure no coolant was leaking. Rappy ran fine.
Stopped at petrol station filled up, when I came back it looks like oil residue coming out the overflow of the petrol tank? Wiped a bit so I knew if it was leaking for the 2mile home.
Got home, nothing further has come out and there is no pressure noise from tank.

I have no idea where to start and hoping that something catastrophic is not about to happen.
Any ideas or just an explanation of what has caused this will as always be gratefully received. :mrgreen:
Fausto
On the Road

Re: Raptor Failure or Not ???

Post by Fausto »

Are you sure the residue was coming from the petrol filler cap drain pipe? There are 2 and the other one vents the coolant header tank I believe.
If it was the fuel cap pipe give it a good clean / blow through and see if anything more comes out.
Spyke
On the Road

Post by Spyke »

What makes you think it's coolant - colour, or location? When I had a coolant issue it seemed to dry quickly to leave a crusty white residue on hot things, almost like sea salt, rather than being green. To check your coolant system for leaks take off the seat and the offside side panel and run the bike up to "as hot as possible" and look for liquid escaping from anywhere connected to the coolant reservoir or radiator - if you're not that technical just look at all the plumbing going to and from your reservoir and radiator, and with your fingers (carefully) you can follow the plumbing and see if anything gets wet. The oil residue just may be petrol and gunk, have you checked your overflow isn't partially blocked - a common issue on these bikes. As noted here recently a blast of compressed air UP the overflow pipe should clear any blockage, if you do this with the filler cap open and a rag stuffed into the actual petrol opening you should be able to make sure no crap gets blown into the actual fuel. Not sure if the pressure building might be a sign that the overflow is blocked? Anyway these are just my thoughts, I'm sure someone more competent will comment if I'm barking up the wrong tree!
Road racing's where it's at - going round in circles all day is for hamsters.
RaptorJo
On the Road

Post by RaptorJo »

Thanks for replies, deffo coolant leak as pink and drying white. Think that's sorted. Thinks its just starting to show its age now :( just hope it was just a blip. I've had it 7yrs now and nothing comes close to replacing it.
Will keep an eye on it, I just don't understand how oily residue can be round the cap and how it would get there and then come down the overflow?
shedmonkey
APM

Post by shedmonkey »

has someone linked the radiator oveflow and the petrol tank overflow? thats about the only explanation i can come up with.
Bit of a Muppet