Removing Shock and Forks

Technical stuff specific to the Raptor 1000
shedmonkey
APM

Re: Removing Shock and Forks

Post by shedmonkey »

i had a second hand shock( a tuono) i believe (thats what i was told) but you had to grind a small amount off the top eyelet to clear the frame.
Bit of a Muppet
V4mp
On the Road

Post by V4mp »

ozzraptor wrote:55 years agoAlso gsxr forks should work with spacers, 04 05 600 750 are also Showa, 50mm top and 54mm bottom clamp. I used those forks on my old sv and what an improvement.
There are many forks which will go to top and bottom clamp, but the problem is if you buy only forks not a whole front end, how to fit brakes, wheel and do you have to make new spindle or how many spacers it needs to fit properly. Well making spacers isnt a big job or cost a fortune, but brakes might be more expensive.
Don't ride faster than your angels can fly !
ozzraptor
On the Road

Post by ozzraptor »

V4mp wrote:55 years ago
ozzraptor wrote:55 years agoAlso gsxr forks should work with spacers, 04 05 600 750 are also Showa, 50mm top and 54mm bottom clamp. I used those forks on my old sv and what an improvement.
There are many forks which will go to top and bottom clamp, but the problem is if you buy only forks not a whole front end, how to fit brakes, wheel and do you have to make new spindle or how many spacers it needs to fit properly. Well making spacers isnt a big job or cost a fortune, but brakes might be more expensive.
Yes thats right , getting all the other stuff to line up is the hard bit. I was lucky with my sv that i was able to retain standard rim and axle. If i was to do the front forks i would probabally go the same route as you did .
DemonD
On the Road

Post by DemonD »

Thanks Raptor996 and Shedmonkey, handy to know that changing the springs and oil doesn't make a huge difference to the forks. I will either replace the forks or get Maxton to replace the internals completely.
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

My forks had a basic make-over many years ago which made a great difference to me. The internal nylon spines were skimmed to smooth them out and prevent catching and oil changed for the heavier 10
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
Miz
On the Road

Post by Miz »

raptor996 wrote:55 years agoNot an easy bike to get the wheels out of. I put a bar through the swining arm pivot & supported it on an axel stand each side, then jacked the front up carefully on the sump using some wood. Not ideal .
Have a look at the ABBA stand

You can get kits/adapters to fit the stand to lots of bikes.
152/999
dizzyblonde
On the Road

Post by dizzyblonde »

There is also a front lift attachment for the Abba stand which allows you to tilt your front end further in the air to get the front forks out.

I've invested in both last month for the proceeding work I need to do. Just got to find the time now :-(
Yellow 2001 SV650s,2002 VRaptor
Your Rapter looks like a sci fi robot dragon! and it breaths fire too! It singed my eye brows and boiled my eyes at the lights! smudge