Suggestions for perished seals on fuel pump housing

Technical stuff specific to the Raptor 1000
cF^
On the Road

Suggestions for perished seals on fuel pump housing

Post by cF^ »

So upon stripping and rebuilding the fuel pump, the wires that go through from the pump to the outside world have rubbers which stop the fuel escaping and keep the contacts away from the metal of the housing. These have perished, and the connectors have corroded a great deal. My mechanic is having to think of a bespoke method to fix this as it seems like we can't get the replacement bits and we need a fix asap. Has anyone had any experience with this? Any ideas or suggestions? Getting a fuel tight, electric isolating seal is tricky!

Good example of what I'm trying to fix is here:
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/OTYwWDEyODA=/ ... T/$_57.JPG

Sorry to pinch someone elses photo!
Spyke
On the Road

Re: Suggestions for perished seals on fuel pump housing

Post by Spyke »

Getting a fuel tight electric isolating seal is a little tricky, but it should not be impossible. How did you come by your mechanic? Mine would grumble a bit about it being tricky, but would achieve it I'm sure, and without making me work out the details. Just sayin'.

Your cheapest option is probably one of the hard-setting fuel-safe instant gaskets, I'd think Halfords would sell one but some of the Brits might chime in with a good local brand name for you.

Alternatively you could ask the seller of http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331358880557 something along the lines of
"Bitte postet ein Bild von der anderen Seite der Anschlüsse, wie diese! http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/OTYwWDEyODA=/ ... T/$_57.JPG"
(i.e. please post a pic of the other side of the plate, like this one), and if the connections are as good as the rest of the assembly looks then you could get a new plate and a bunch of spares for 54 quid, not outrageous.
Road racing's where it's at - going round in circles all day is for hamsters.
cF^
On the Road

Post by cF^ »

Aw my mechanic is getting bashed on here but he's a sweetheart, hes taking the project over to do in his spare time now as he doesn't want to run me up a massive bill in the workshop.
He's confident he can do the work but I just wanted to check that there might be a quicker/easier method than him fashioning his own parts to fit.
Will mention the fuelsafe gasket sealer when I see him next.
Spyke
On the Road

Post by Spyke »

Sorry to dis your mechanic - but from your posts it sounded a bit like he wasn't wanting to, or wasn't confident, about the job.

Yes, no garage and Dundee weather would put me off too. I'm still to do the tappets, haven't made it to that system as yet! Seeing as your from Dundee (I'm from Edinburgh) I had a wee shufty on the Halfords website to see if I could find something relevant, but no joy. I did find a contender on eBay though:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/351186311297
I *think* that should set hard and form the seal that you require.

I did bodge my first attempt at replacing the fuel pump - but luckily my bike was in my garage so all the fuel leaked out quite quietly and without combusting, so when the fuel pump assembly is refitted I would recommend either replacing the gasket or applying "Blue Hylomar" to the old one [as recommended by Crap Tartan, I think], to make sure the old gasket seals again. IIRC a replacement TL1000S gasket from a Suzuki dealer wasn't that expensive. If you can give the installed gasket 24 hours to cure before adding fuel to the tank, then run the bike for a bit with the fuel tank propped up (and therefore the gasket under pressure) to verify no leaks before you set off for a ride. :lightfart:

Have you made sure the fuel tank overflow is unblocked? That's a very common one. I did a motorcycle maintenance evening class yonks ago, so keep an eye out for them, you can often take your own bike along and work on it under supervision.
Road racing's where it's at - going round in circles all day is for hamsters.