Is my bike too old?

Chat about anything
cF^
On the Road

Is my bike too old?

Post by cF^ »

After having numerous problems with my bike (fuel pump, fuel filter, rust + perished rubbers causing fuel to piss everywhere) my mechanic did say to me today "Well this IS what you get when you have a 15 year old bike" and began talking as if it was over the hill.

So I ask you guys, is a 15 year old bike with 25,000 miles something that should be replaced? The engine feels like it'll go on forever and I had a mind to keep this bike until I eventually ran myself into a tree. People saying these things makes me think maybe I should sell it and buy something newer. I bought it for a bargain price so I could easily get my money back.
Opinions? What do you guys plan to do with your raptors, and when is a bike over the hill? :)
snapdragon

Re: Is my bike too old?

Post by snapdragon »

OH COME ON !!!!!!! they're talking outta their assends :bollocking:
a bike is over the hill when it falls off the edge, there are Vincents and such like out there and still running since being built in the 1950's

Don't know exactly what could have caused your perishing problems (it could have been water in the tank) - but I do believe it might be too few miles on the clock, they run and ride so much better when they're used :mrgreen:

ok mine is a 2001 Y reg with currently 102144 miles on the clock, I've spent a lot of money on her - mainly fuel, oil and tyres.

By those measures you have 45+ years to catch up with my mileage - ENJOY THEM IF YOU DARE :revrev:
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
cF^
On the Road

Post by cF^ »

Hah, thanks for the encouragement. I love my bike and it certainly doesn't LOOK 15 years old, I think they have a timeless design.
Glad to hear of bikes making it around that many miles! My only worry is spare parts and fixing the inevitable issues that arise!

Water in the fuel tank has been my problem, will be taking much better winter care of her from now on! :)
ozzraptor
On the Road

Post by ozzraptor »

Hmmm , that explains why you got it for a bargain price :lol: i think a lot of your problems are due to poor maintenance by last po rather than a bike that has been sitting idle for some time imho . Looks like your fuel system needs a thorough going through but not too hard really. Common problems with ageing bikes. Start with clean fuel tank ,new fuel pump , lines , filter etc. Then go through all the vaccum lines and replace them. :happyhappy: you're mechanics a dick head ,probabally been working on honda's too long . The more you can learn to do yourself the better if not find a decent mechanic :nod:
Spyke
On the Road

Post by Spyke »

Yup, like I said in the other thread I'd be concerned about my mechanic saying that. Mechanics can be as lazy as any other tradesman, and can also grumble about how hard things are in an attempt to impress you about how wonderful they are, particularly if you're not in their face with your mechanical competence.

Perished rubbers and fuel/water problems are signs of a lack of TLC, invest in a wee tub of rubber grease, and run a cup of meths (at a fuel/meths ratio of 40:1) through every 3 months to prevent them recurring. Do your own maintenance, it really is very easy and safer to trust yourself than a potentially lazy mechanic.

The Suzuki TL1000S engine is still common and pretty easy to get parts for, it's only the Italian parts that are slightly harder to find, but not impossible.

So yeah, get a new mechanic, I can't see me changing my bike in the next 5 years.

Be grateful you have a plastic fuel tank - my Ducati is even older but has a metal tank and internal corrosion is starting to happen, but still an easy problem to sort out. Just remember a bike is really just a conglomerate of smaller systems and get your head around each one in the order of priority and you've got it sussed.

A wise friend once told me "Find a mechanic who loves your ride as much as you do, and pay whatever they ask", and I'm glad I've done so!
Road racing's where it's at - going round in circles all day is for hamsters.
cF^
On the Road

Post by cF^ »

Wise words.
I'm keen to learn but not having a garage is an issue for me right now. I can do the easy stuff like oil changes and air filter, spark plugs etc. Just learned to strip and rebuild brake calipers so that's another one to add. Engine internals are a scary subject though. Did the tappets on my old camper van but that's about it.
As I mentioned in the other thread, my mechanic is doing his best to keep the costs down for me but if I could find a friendly enthusiast to help me learn I'd be all for it. Unfortunately being in the arse end of nowhere doesn't help (Dundee)!
With the fuel issue i'd rather get someone competent to do the job, last thing I want is to set myself on fire at 60mph because I bodged it on my first attempt:P

I got the bike in good nick, my uncle, who runs a bike shop, looked after it when I first got it, since then it's been stood over a winter as I had to go work in Germany for a while. I think that winter standing in the garden didn't do it any favours. So basically it's my fault if the bike is running like a bag of sh*t right now. Still, teaches me not to let that happen again!
shedmonkey
APM

Post by shedmonkey »

hey i am a tradesman and im not lazy................................................................................................................................................................................sorry just finishing that cup of tea. I will have to order parts but i will give you a ring when they come in.
Last edited by snapdragon on |November 5th, 2014|, 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: £^$&!"% dots :( grump day
Bit of a Muppet
Red Mist
On the Road

Post by Red Mist »

I occasionally take other bikes out for a test ride and often as not they just make me realise how good the Rap is. As a for instance, I went for a blast on Honda CB1000R the other day. It may be more modern but it wasn't as comfortable, you couldn't read the instruments very easily, and it didn't pull as well in the mid-range.

I could also say the same things about my BMW and add that the finish isn't as good and it isn't as well made.

The Cagiva has a timeless appeal if what you want to do is enjoy and fine motorcycle on a good road. My bike is certainly not over the hill! ....Though I must admit that my chain, shock, and front discs are...
Spyke
On the Road

Post by Spyke »

Yeah the Cagiva definitely comfortable...for the first hour, till the numb bum sets in! Still haven't got around to doing anything about that though, I'm not too averse to having a coffee break every hour.
Road racing's where it's at - going round in circles all day is for hamsters.
OkBails
On the Road

Post by OkBails »

Mate, I've just updated my ride to an 01 Rappy!!
I just spent two years and $4000 on my 89 Ducati Paso that had done 56000kms and was not serviced by the previous owner for 37000kms and parked outside needless to say it needed basically a ground up rebuild. Any bike that was made in 2000 or later is a newish bike. If it has been well taken care of (like my Rappy appears to be) it's all just routine maintenance from here. Replace the things that are worn or that may leave you stranded on the side of the road, and you'll be sweet!! I know of a Ducati ST2 (or was it 3?) that has done 250000kms...yep, 250 000kms on the original motor. Regular maintenance and an easy life will ensure a long engine/component life.
Oh, and inside storage over the winter will help! Even my Rappy will be stored in the garage over winter and I live in Australia. The elements don't do bikes any favors.
Bails
Resurrecting V Raptor 1000