head stock

Technical stuff specific to the Raptor 1000
msrobswe
On the Road

head stock

Post by msrobswe »

The head stock on this raptor is very poor, pinch bolts cutting into sliders and dodgy copper shins installed that have also caused damage:-(
Now I know that 748 forks are a popular upgrade,,,, but does anyone know if any ducati yoke sets "bolt" on?
Btw will post pictures as project develops,,,,some parts in paint shop already :-)
Hairy_Mark
Hirsute Maximus Spanner...I do Technical Me ;)

Re: head stock

Post by Hairy_Mark »

What Raptor is this?

When you refer to pinch bolts, I'm assuming you are talking about the yokes (or triple clamps). I don't get the term 'sliders' either. If I understand you correctly, the yokes are not that bad. I would not be bothered about swapping mine. Where are these copper shims? I have no copper shims anywhere on my Raptor front end.

As to the forks themselves...they're rubbish! I am installing Matris fork cartridges, new seals and refurbishing the fork outer sleeves. You can keep the original Cagiva outers and lowers. If your stanchions aren't too bad, re-use them. renew the usual seals and bushes, install a decent adjustable cartridge and you should be okay. I don't know if Ducati 748 yokes fit in but, like I say, I don't see the need. The fork cartridges on a Raptor are where the main problem lies. I have heard that Yamaha R1 forks fit, so that could be an option. Someone else here may know more about that. I went for making the original gear good but it was expensive.

If I was you, I'd concentrate on improving the functionality of the forks themselves, not the yokes.

If I've understood correctly, I hope this helps. Let me know if you want info.
Legal disclaimer :
The author has recently been declared sane.
He thanks Dr Foster for this and hopes his
clothes dry out after the puddle incident.
asdean
On the Road

Post by asdean »

Hi
If you machine the top triple clamp out to 53 mm the pinch bolts may very well dig into the fork,
I tried this and posted it under 53 mm fork conversion.
You can machine the bolts down and fit shims to the lower triple clamp which is what appears to have been done to your bike, but you don't really get an improvement.
749 forks may be better than 748 ones but you may still need to play with spring rates and preform a re-valve or go to Gold valves; all of which is expensive.
As I like a challenge, I'm currently putting CBR1000 internals into my 748 forks to see if I get an improvement, but it's not worth the pain, I've had to machine up new base valve supports and I am still working on getting the rebound adjuster sorted, I need to change the length and needle shape.
I do not think that there is a simple solution found to fix the front forks.
Good luck
Lexio62
On the Road

Post by Lexio62 »

We need to get a table drawn up that says what fits with what.
The SV forums are all over this, but the raptor isn't raced like the sv650's are so less modification work.

From what I know, the 748/916 triples will work with the Cagiva, but you'll need to use the 748/916 forks too.

If you go for the S model triples, you can alter the rake as well.

I'd love to do this, but the parts are hard to come by and very expensive.

As for the quality of the triples camps, I hadn't really seen that as much of a concern.

I am in the process of fitting different forks but retaining the Cagiva triples if I can.
Last edited by Lexio62 on |July 17th, 2015|, 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spyke
On the Road

Post by Spyke »

I *think* the original question was about the 1000s - due to it being posted in the 1000s (TL) section. But now there's talk of the 650s (SVs), which would be confusing if wanted to get involved. But I'm happy with my set up so carry on!
Road racing's where it's at - going round in circles all day is for hamsters.
Lexio62
On the Road

Post by Lexio62 »

I was just referring to the SV650 racing community - not the actual bike.

I will try to find time to create a table / chart so we know what parts will measure up with the Raptors.

Because the sv650 is such a popular race bike, but requires suspension upgrades (as do the raptors) there's a lot of good info to help builders.

But less so with the raptors.