Project Polar-Raptor

Somewhere for you to post your piccies of you and your bikes
El Vikingo Tropical
On the Road

Re: Project Polar-Raptor

Post by El Vikingo Tropical »

V4mp wrote:55 years ago
El Vikingo Tropical wrote:55 years agoIs the rear shocker location more or less in the same position on the mv swingarm as on the raptor oem?
I don't know yet, they both look to be pretty much in center.
I've to get swingarm in frame before I can tell for sure. I run out of time last time when I started to mount MV A swingarm, it didn't drop in place as I quickly tried it.
I had a look on a friends a brutale 1090 to day and it looks like it's more or less in the center
Saludos desde Canarias
V4mp
On the Road

Post by V4mp »

El Vikingo Tropical wrote:55 years ago
V4mp wrote:55 years ago
El Vikingo Tropical wrote:55 years agoIs the rear shocker location more or less in the same position on the mv swingarm as on the raptor oem?
I don't know yet, they both look to be pretty much in center.
I've to get swingarm in frame before I can tell for sure. I run out of time last time when I started to mount MV A swingarm, it didn't drop in place as I quickly tried it.
I had a look on a friends a brutale 1090 to day and it looks like it's more or less in the center
I got swingarm roughly mounted and looks like shock locations are pretty close. ;)
Don't ride faster than your angels can fly !
El Vikingo Tropical
On the Road

Post by El Vikingo Tropical »

That's look great you may just need a spacer
Saludos desde Canarias
V4mp
On the Road

Post by V4mp »

Made some progress today and got swingarm mounted roughly into the frame. Looks pretty good to me. 8)
Mounting needed 10-15mm grinding on swingarm. Rough mount means swingarm is on axle, but chain- and tyreline need to be check. Rear shock needs also some planing how it will fit.

V4mp
On the Road

Post by V4mp »

Swingarm is now on the axle and chain line looks okey (tried to check it with laser, hopefully it went right :D).
I did quick wheel alignment too and looks like rear wheel needs to be moved ~10mm. Fortunately that 10mm can be correct with spacer and doesn't need machining. :thumbsup:
V4mp
On the Road

Post by V4mp »

Bike is rolling now, but needs proper spacers and triangle mount piece into swingarm and rear suspension (check last picture).
I also need to get new chain,
check if rear brake line goes with mv a rear caliper,
check if exhaust fits properly and
maybe order carbon fiber chain guards then swingarm project should be ready.

Crap Tartan
On the Road
Location: Sitting in front of the screen in Portpatrick again

Post by Crap Tartan »

Thats looking really good!

So whats the bleed nipple looking thing sticking down through that alloy plate at the underside of the swingarm?

Is there plenty clearance for the shock hydraulic hose when arm is fully extended?

I remember from doing my swinger conversion the hard bit of wheel/chain alignment can be a pain as they fight against each other trying to keep the wheels perfectly in alignment.
nil illigitimae carborundum
V4mp
On the Road

Post by V4mp »

Crap Tartan wrote:55 years agoThats looking really good!
Thank you!
Crap Tartan wrote:55 years ago So whats the bleed nipple looking thing sticking down through that alloy plate at the underside of the swingarm?
It might look like a bleed nipple, but it is just original shock mounting bracket bolt and a nut. Nut works as a spacer. I needed to replace original shock mounting bracket (check previous posts) with welded part which allows to use Cagiva linkage and triangles (MV Agusta has different kind of linkage system).
Problem was thread in swingarm, which is a metric fine thread and I have only standard threaded bolts so I needed to use original shock mounting bracket bolts. :oops: My welded part is thinner than original shock mounting bracket so I ran out of thread and needed spacer for rigid mount. Did this answer to the question?
Crap Tartan wrote:55 years ago Is there plenty clearance for the shock hydraulic hose when arm is fully extended?

Yes, I think so.
Crap Tartan wrote:55 years ago I remember from doing my swinger conversion the hard bit of wheel/chain alignment can be a pain as they fight against each other trying to keep the wheels perfectly in alignment.
Single sided swingarm makes things easier, because rear sprocket is not straightly bolted to the wheel.
Crap Tartan
On the Road
Location: Sitting in front of the screen in Portpatrick again

Post by Crap Tartan »

"Single sided swingarm makes things easier, because rear sprocket is not straightly bolted to the wheel."

Of course, I didnt think of that!

I just made sure I had good front/rear wheel alignment first then made everything else work around that. It helped that i already had an R1 front end fitted which was already spaced to fit the raptor front wheel. It gave me that additional bit of adjustment to make everything work.
nil illigitimae carborundum
V4mp
On the Road

Post by V4mp »

Crap Tartan wrote:55 years agoI just made sure I had good front/rear wheel alignment first then made everything else work around that. It helped that i already had an R1 front end fitted which was already spaced to fit the raptor front wheel. It gave me that additional bit of adjustment to make everything work.
I did it the other way. :D
I first aligned chain line and then started to think about wheels. Fortunately wheel alignment can be done with spacer between axle and wheel, so I don't need machinist to remove any material.
andybaggies
On the Road

Post by andybaggies »

Whoa! it's sarting to look very nice... :nod:

How did you go about specing the ride height? Not sure if it's the photos but the saddle does seem to be raised quite a bit and would I be correct in saying you are using stock triangles?

Andy B
V4mp
On the Road

Post by V4mp »

andybaggies wrote:55 years agoWhoa! it's sarting to look very nice... :nod:

How did you go about specing the ride height? Not sure if it's the photos but the saddle does seem to be raised quite a bit and would I be correct in saying you are using stock triangles?

Andy B
Glad to hear you like my work!

You are correct, I'm using stock triangles. You aren't blind neither seat has raised, but I can't say exact number. If I remember next time I go to the garage I can measure that. ;) I'm 172cm tall and I can get my feet down to the ground so it isn't in adventure bike levels yet. :D

Because I'm using triangles, dog bone and shock made for Raptor only thing can change ride height is the swingarm mounting point.
I wanted to raise seat height a bit so I did some research, what is Raptors seat height and some other sport bikes seat heights. Basically then I just lifted bikes rear/seat height I wanted and made triangles swingarm mounting piece.
V4mp
On the Road

Post by V4mp »

Just a short update.
I'm waiting proper spacers and triangle mount piece from machinist. I should get them next week.:wink:
Looks like rear brake needs at least new brake hose, old chain will fit but needs to be shorten, exhausts is still mystery and I bought carbonfiber candy for swingarm.
I've also started to strip bike for painting. I'm painting frame, engine and bodywork. One picture from progress.

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

Awww poor little bird with no feathers :(
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
V4mp
On the Road

Post by V4mp »

Strip done.