R1 forks

General spannery stuff
geoff
Knight of the realm

Re: R1 forks

Post by geoff »

Hi there, they are good, it was fun boring the slot for the handlebars, as they are at an angle, but I got it done by clamping two bits of billet together, mounting them in a sliding vice at the right angle, and boring from the lathe chuck.

I have about 20mm of lift, but can adjust that if I feel the need with spacing plates.

I'm thinking of improving on the 'prototype', as I bashed them up to see how it worked, took about an hour in all.

I need to lift the forks by about 10mm, and have clearance now to do that, so it's a success. :D

I will get some pics up at some point, but the main thing is if anyone gets stuck with this conversion, forks intruding into the handlebars, then it can be sorted.
andybaggies
On the Road

Post by andybaggies »

I will get some pics up at some point, but the main thing is if anyone gets stuck with this conversion, forks intruding into the handlebars, then it can be sorted.
Bear in mind this may not work with the V due to the horns restricting the bars.
geoff
Knight of the realm

Post by geoff »

Good point Andy, it would be interesting to know what clearances there are through the turning swing. :)
andybaggies
On the Road

Post by andybaggies »

Good point Andy, it would be interesting to know what clearances there are through the turning swing. :)
Just this minute I've had a measure and on mine the clearance from bars to horn ranges from 20 - 10 mm with perhaps a farty bit more by turning the bars back a little.

Addtionally the clearance from the fork top to the underside of the bars is also around 20 mm.

BTW I measured my total (unladen) fork length and this is 730 mm which compares with 729 mm for the 04/06 R1 forks as quoted on the definitive fork swap chart of the TL forum http://www.tlzone.net/forums/suzuki-tl1 ... chart.html

Andy B
geoff
Knight of the realm

Post by geoff »

Thanks Andy, I will also measure my r1 forks unladen and see what I get.