Chassis Number Location?

Technical stuff specific to the Raptor 1000
cF^
On the Road

Chassis Number Location?

Post by cF^ »

Nobody can find the chassis number on my bike and as a result I'm screwed while currently trying to import it into Germany. Anyone know where it is? The manual states its on one of the rails coming from the neck tube but I can't see anything there! There's a smaller number on the neck tube itself (something like z-00-36) but i'm looking for that long code. Any help?!

Cheers,
Sean
cF^
On the Road

Re: Chassis Number Location?

Post by cF^ »

After a lot of back and forth with MV today it looks like they are genuinely missing from the bike! Quite a shock. No idea what I can do from here, I think even trying to sell the bike back in the UK will be problematic if the serials are missing? Anyone had this issue before?
bazzywazz
On the Road

Post by bazzywazz »

It should be on the right hand side of the steering stem , the same number is dot engraved and also on a plate next to it. both above the conformity sticker.
These pics taken from low level under my v fairing.
If yours is missing then the bike is stolen. The etched numbers are quite deep and would need to be ground off or filled.
Sorry to bring sad news. :-x
Last edited by bazzywazz on |August 13th, 2017|, 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cF^
On the Road

Post by cF^ »

Thanks very much for the pics bazzywazz. Here's a photo of mine, as you can see its entirely blank.
https://goo.gl/photos/Jka2wcVkuM6ZNiV1A

There is a tiny mark at the top where those wires have rubbed over the years but I can't see any hint of filing or scratches whatsoever! I'm not entirely convinced it was ever there to be honest. The other frame number (towards the middle of the stem on the opposite side) is there, it reads 00-45, I'm guessing year of manufacture and frame number?
I have no knowledge about how stealing bikes works in terms of removing serials. It's strange to me that if it is stolen, the engine number is still there and correct, and that they must have done a damn good job respraying the frame to make it look so good. If they wanted to make cash they would have been better off stripping the bike for its parts, I bought the bike for 1600 quid - strange that someone may go through the effort of all that for such a cheap bike.
Also, for the 7 years i've owned it not one MOT mechanic has said "i can't find your frame number" - isn't it a requirement they check it (I could be wrong here I guess).
It could be also that the guy who sold it to me did all these mods and he bought the bike from someone who stole it of course.

If anyone has any advice about what I should do next it'd be appreciated. I guess I go to the police and they'll likely seize the bike? Sad to think about after 7 years of ownership and many happy, oblivious, miles on it.
:cry:
shebee
Site Admin
Facebook address thingy: facebook.com/shebee.duff

Post by shebee »

I know the mot should check the number... i have problems each year with the HD as the frame is powdercoated and the number difficult to read.

We had a factory replacement frame for a bike many years ago that came without numbers and we had to get the original number stamped on it. But this was pre TVA . I also have a vague recollection that the number is also duplicated somewhere else on the frame but this may have been a different bike... it is early on on a sunday! Has anyone got a frame stripped at the moment who can check/confirm?
Twisted Tequila Sister
nickst4
On the Road

Post by nickst4 »

I'm sure my mechanic/guru Carl Harrison in Harleston said something about Raptors often being given new frames, presumably under warranty, when he was at a major dealer here. He didn't mention stamping numbers though.

Nick