YSS Rear shock

General spannery stuff
andybaggies
On the Road

YSS Rear shock

Post by andybaggies »

The WIlbers rear shock I had installed on the Raptor has finally succumbed to mileage & the inclement conditions it was put under e.g. ~60k miles & 5 years all round commuting. The bottom bearing has given up the ghost and collapsed.

So after much dithering I opted to replace it with a YSS shock from Brooks Suspension. They have no units listed for the 1000 Raptor only for the 650. But being for the same frame it has the same top & bottom mounts, the same length and a spring rate of 75 n/mm. The Wilbers had a spring rate of 85 n/mm, which I always felt was a touch firm, so I opted to buy one.

It's now fitted & the first impression was how much stationary movement there now is at the rear :o I'm not sure if this is because of the shock characteristics or the fact there was so little left with the Wilbers at the end of it's life.

I've been out for a couple of runs and I must admit I'm quite impressed... as I say plenty of movement which is nice & smoothly controlled. Just right for the bumpy B roads I frequent even during spirited riding. The best compliment I can give is that you don't really notice it working.

https://www.brooksuspension.co.uk/cagiv ... rber-03-10
nickst4
On the Road

YSS Rear shock

Post by nickst4 »

Andy,
Glad you are pleased with the YSS shock.
I was looking at one for the Duke HyperStrada but Brook Suspension put me off, saying they are rather basic and not tailored to the rider, being made in Thailand to a standard spec. Just today I've received Brook's recommendation for both ends of the HS, made by Nitron UK. Very expensive kit (for me) but highly respected by the HS community, who reckon Ducati definitely skimped on the OEM suspension for that model. I'm hoping for a deal more compliance from the relatively-long-travel suspension, which ought to be very good on modern B-roads.
andybaggies
On the Road

YSS Rear shock

Post by andybaggies »

Yeah Nitron do do a shock for the Raptor and as you say they are quite pricey, although I often wonder how much of that comes from it being made in the UK rather than any superior quality or damping.

And, yes, Nitron will offer a choice of spring rates dependent on the riders weight & riding style but I must say the lower rate of the YSS, against the Wilbers which was also tailored, strikes me as ideal.

Sometimes I feel a lot of aftermarket suspension units do lean to the firm side and I'm sure there is a good deal of brand 'snobbery' around them.