spark plugs

General spannery stuff
Carrag
On the Road

spark plugs

Post by Carrag »

hello, do I need a special tool to remove the spark plugs ? or is it just a case of a long extension bar

Thanks
jontboy
On the Road

spark plugs

Post by jontboy »

I just use an extension bar but try and us a locking one, it’s a pain when the socket come off down the hole. Or use a plug wrench, you can get them off eBay for next to nothing
Carrag
On the Road

spark plugs

Post by Carrag »

:thumbsup:
andybaggies
On the Road

spark plugs

Post by andybaggies »

The front one is the pain to access - I usually undo the radiator mounting bolts & strap tie it back around one of the fork yokes. And then fiddling about using the best combo of socket extensions etc to get a good fit.

And, as JB said above, use a decent socket with a rubber insert to prevent dropping the plug back down the hole.

Oh, and check the direction of the rubber plug hole arrows before removing them. Towards the exhaust if memory serves me right.
jimO
On the Road

spark plugs

Post by jimO »

mine has developed a misfire, its sat unused for a while as i have been tied up doing other things, i gave it a run in the garage every few weeks but i suspect the fuel is stale, i thought it may be a clogged injector but it will run fine then start missing
how much of a pain is changing the plugs? i havnt had a good look at it do you need to pull the bike to bits to do this
Carrag
On the Road

spark plugs

Post by Carrag »

only the radiator is awkward, i ended up disconnecting the hose and draining the fluid into a jug. Easy instructions in the workshop manual.
andybaggies
On the Road

spark plugs

Post by andybaggies »

jimO wrote: 11 months ago mine has developed a misfire, its sat unused for a while as i have been tied up doing other things, i gave it a run in the garage every few weeks but i suspect the fuel is stale, i thought it may be a clogged injector but it will run fine then start missing
how much of a pain is changing the plugs? i havnt had a good look at it do you need to pull the bike to bits to do this
Is it possible to him out for a 20 mile 'Italian tune'?