sump plug

Technical stuff specific to the V and Xtra raptors
martin rowe
On the Road

sump plug

Post by martin rowe »

just became the owner of a 52 plate V Rap, looks like some animal has stripped / damaged the sump plug thread, probably the bit in the crank case, the plug has been put back with some type of metal set putty round it. my question is does any one know the thread size of the sump plug, that will be my starting point to try & re thread the hole or cut in a new one next size bigger.
martin
shebee
Site Admin
Facebook address thingy: facebook.com/shebee.duff

Post by shebee »

If its any conssolation I had a bike where the main swing arm bolt had been epoxy glued in place by a previous owner when they stripped the thread - did wonders for the handling! :shock:

Sump plug - I would go for the next size up and use a coarse thread as it is alluminium - hth
martin rowe
On the Road

Post by martin rowe »

yeh thats what I want to do, would like the original thread size first though.
martin
RaptorMan
On the Road
Facebook address thingy: John Hocking Raptorman

Post by RaptorMan »

If you had asked this question last week I could have told you straight off,just serviced one for a friend :? .
Measure the diameter of the bolt thread with a vernier caliper
(if ya got one that is) and that will tell you what size to go up to.
Alternatively HELICOIL it :idea: if fitted correctly they are stronger than the ally.
Be Loud Be Proud Be Heard
2002 V RAP 1000,Raucous,Rebellious and Hooliganistic
1997 BLACKBIRD,Quiet,Refined and Comfortable
martin rowe
On the Road

Post by martin rowe »

just wanted to know thread size, have many heli coils from m5 to m16, unf, unt, some whitworth, full range of metric & imperial tapsin different thread forms, full w/shop facilities ect. just though it would have been easier to know while the bike is still mobile.
thanks for advise.
martin
TLMONKEY
On the Road

Post by TLMONKEY »

martin rowe wrote:55 years agojust wanted to know thread size, have many heli coils from m5 to m16, unf, unt, some whitworth, full range of metric & imperial tapsin different thread forms, full w/shop facilities ect. just though it would have been easier to know while the bike is still mobile.
thanks for advise.
Martin You must have bought your rap from the same dealer/seller as me :lol:
I only noticed when i removed mne to drop the oil after using it for about 600miles when i first bought it beginning of this year.
I started to undo it and then after half a turn it just fellout.
Was being held in with some sort of dark red paste.
I bought a heliciol kit for it from ebay afer asking the same question as yourself.
I will check what size when i go in shed shortly and let ya know :)
TLMONKEY
On the Road

Post by TLMONKEY »

Got it,
M14 x 1.25 :)
martin rowe
On the Road

Post by martin rowe »

thanks, star man. got pleanty of m14 x1.25, thats a fairly standard spark plug size (car) even keep the short depth ones.
its amazing how some people need to tighten up a sump plug in aluminium so tight, mind you if they were all good I would be out of a job.
just bought the vrap at xmas, first 'big' bike, its awesome, have put the baffles back in the race cans, way too noisy, it came with new un used power commander also, might fit that when I get used to it.
IOM is a great place, used to go to watch the Manx Rally.
martin
TLMONKEY
On the Road

Post by TLMONKEY »

martin rowe wrote:55 years agothanks, star man. got pleanty of m14 x1.25, thats a fairly standard spark plug size (car) even keep the short depth ones.
just bought the vrap at xmas, first 'big' bike, its awesome, have put the baffles back in the race cans, way too noisy, it came with new un used power commander also, might fit that when I get used to it.
No problem martin.
I only foundout size after asking a tl1000 mate of mine off another site
Adam
On the Road

Post by Adam »

The problem is possibly caused by some stupidly tight torque setting quoted in the owners manual. A much lower one prevents problems.
Always be the person your dog thinks you are.
martin rowe
On the Road

Post by martin rowe »

experiance usually prevents the problem, any easy fix if you have correct tools, now totally leak free.
martin