No Spark

Technical stuff specific to the Raptor 1000
Dally
On the Road

No Spark

Post by Dally »

Hi Guys, I left my V Raptor for 2 weeks then came back to it and there's no spark. Motor turns over OK. Is fitted with Datatool alarm/immobiliser but this seems to function OK. Changed battery for another (not new) but still nothing. Any ideas it's driving me crazy :shock:
craftycat
On the Road
Facebook address thingy: saragracewevillceramics

Post by craftycat »

Hubby had a datatool alarm on his fireblade and had constant problems with the bike going dead.. seems the alarm kills the battery. He ended up diconnecting by fitting an interrupter switch on the fuse if leaving it unused for any period of time. I imagine there are lots of happy datatool customers around but he certainly wasn't one. Other thing to consider... if it drained the battery, despite you changing it.. it's possible that the alarm has immobilised the bike because it lost power.
2002 Cagiva Raptor 1000... mine all mine!!
TLMONKEY
On the Road

Post by TLMONKEY »

Well i cant see it being the alarm because bike wouldnt even turnover i guess if immobiliser was on/faulty?
Are your plug's wet?
Shame you dont have a spare ecu to try,just to be sure.
Has your bike ever been crashed,only ask because i sold anothermember an ecu because he bought a crashed raptor which had a faulty ecu.
Do you know how to check for fault codes?
IAN
Dally
On the Road

Post by Dally »

Hi guys thanks for the replys. Would the bike turn over if immobiliser is active? Battery was low and optimiser doesn't seem to have sorted it. Plugs didn't seem too wet but definately no spark. Ran fine until I parked it for 2 weeks. Hasn't been crashed as far as I know. Certainly not recently. I've been looking in a TL manual (cos that's all I've got) and they're talking about crank sensors and suchlike. WOT! me old bonnies got plugs points and a coil and that keeps chugging along. Slowly losing faith with modern bikes :roll:
Dally
On the Road

Post by Dally »

Check for fault codes? no idea mate do you? :wink:
TLMONKEY
On the Road

Post by TLMONKEY »

Dally wrote:55 years agoCheck for fault codes? no idea mate do you? :wink:
Dally,
Crank sensor is inside leftside casing/cover and cam sensor(ignition/fuel timing) is on the top of the rear cam cover.
I think(not 100% sure) immob does stop spark,
Does alarm beep/flash on and off?
Also alarm's do have a small backup battery inside the box.

Try jumpstart it off car battery(without car running) to discount your battery.
Dally
On the Road

Post by Dally »

Cheers Tlmonkey for that info. The alarm appears to work OK as it goes off when you turn ign on if not disabled. I have tried a couple of batteries. I could do with removing alarm altogether to discount that. I guess I need to check there's power at the coils and work back. Used to love this bike but now it'll have to go. If anyone wants a 2001 V Raptor for Xmas. :wink:
Dally
On the Road

Post by Dally »

Just found this on the Datatool site: You may have "spiked" the alarm system causing it to completely or partially not respond during disarming and immobilise the motorcycle. This is generally caused by the reconnection of the motorcycles battery without the alarm fuse being removed or the alarm being in service mode.
This looks like it may have happened so watch this space. Apparently it takes 6 hours to de spike. Fingers crossed.
TLMONKEY
On the Road

Post by TLMONKEY »

Dally wrote:55 years agoCheers Tlmonkey for that info. The alarm appears to work OK as it goes off when you turn ign on if not disabled. I have tried a couple of batteries. I could do with removing alarm altogether to discount that. I guess I need to check there's power at the coils and work back. Used to love this bike but now it'll have to go. If anyone wants a 2001 V Raptor for Xmas. :wink:
Bloodyhell,
Wish i had a spare couple of grand as could have bought myself a couple of cheap v-raptor's.

So why sell it ,once the fault is sorted(alarm??) away ya go.
Dally
On the Road

Post by Dally »

Too many projects on the go and would like something I can fix at the side of the road. Then again if funds allow I may keep it, just don't tell the Wife I said that :P
Dally
On the Road

No Spark

Post by Dally »

Hi All, Finally found out what the problem was. It was the Datatool alarm no functioning correctly and becoming immobilised when the battery dropped its voltage. Had to remove the battery and fuse from the alarm leave it 6 hours then refit. Alarm is then fully functioning (although it appeared to be before). Thanks for all the ideas hopefully this will help someone who suffers from the same.
Cheers
Dally
wizard
On the Road

Re: No Spark

Post by wizard »

Dally wrote:55 years agoHi All, Finally found out what the problem was. It was the Datatool alarm no functioning correctly and becoming immobilised when the battery dropped its voltage. Had to remove the battery and fuse from the alarm leave it 6 hours then refit. Alarm is then fully functioning (although it appeared to be before). Thanks for all the ideas hopefully this will help someone who suffers from the same.
Cheers
Dally
In my experience, Datatool alarms are a pain -in -the a*se....The best thing to do with them is remove them and throw them away ! :evil:
If in danger, if in doubt....Run in circles,..scream and shout !
Runs With Scissors
On the Road

Post by Runs With Scissors »

Hmmm... hope you've apologised to the Rap for blaming it when the problem was the alarm :wink:
Dally wrote:55 years ago..... would like something I can fix at the side of the road.
The best thing about the Raptor (& most modern bikes) is that you won't ever need to fix it at the side of the road.

Having said that, I have always carried a good toolkit when out on the old Ducati (for 21 years now), just in case.
Although I have never had to use it :D .
I think she runs on heart :D :D :D

I generally don't carry any tools at all when I'm out on the Raptor.
In 5 years of owning it I have only been let down by a battery that went belly-up (on a run last November). 8)

Keep it..... you know you want too :twisted:
If you aren't living on the edge you are taking up too much room.