newby

Technical stuff specific to the Raptor 1000
deekay
On the Road

newby

Post by deekay »

Hello from the Glorious Antipodis aka Australia. I have just purchased my first Cagiva, Raptor 1000 and now I get it. Man what a bike, flexible smooth, fun and feels like it is on rails. I keep looking for reasons to go for a ride and the smile on my face won't quit. I have quite a few toys and this is my favourite hands down. The forum seems healthy and informative with a very helpfull attitude and I am sure I will enjoy my membership. I have one problem to address soon and I did not pick it up when I looked over the bike prior to purchase, it has a cracked rear disc. It looks like at some time it has had a seized rear calliper and the disc has overheated and cracked. Is there a good supplier over there as my enquiries so far have not born fruit, any help or advice will be much appreciated, denis.
pod
On the Road

Gday, rear brake maintenance /repairs

Post by pod »

Welcome aboard,

The rear disc is a PIA.
The std one cracks , Ive had 3 fail, wavy replacement is still going strong, not sure where in the Ozzy lands to source one though.
The caliper collects mung , the brake pedal pivot can seize and its a pain to bleed the sytem when fitted to the bike.

To repair . remove the caliper and footrest hanger plate , unbolt the Master cylinder and pivot bolt and get the caliper lines and Mcylinder on the bench ( the brake light switch and speedo disconnect just to the rear of the fuel tank,.

Pull out the pin and pads.
Scrub the caliper / piston crap out with a tooth brush and soapy water ( not brake cleaner which will fry the piston seals)

Get a pair of small clamps and hold one piston , I use two flat steel bars , one across the piston and the other at the caliper outer with the clamps going across the ends of the steel bars.
Now push the master cylinder in a few times, this should move the free piston out, pump out to 7 mm and clean again then lubricate with silicon grease around the protruding piston, push it back and work it in and out pushing / pumping a few times.
Repeat for the other side.
To bleed , hold the caliper USdown and raise above the Mcylinder, then bleed as normal. You may have to do this before trying to free the pistons, mine had lots of air in the system when I first did this.
A bleed nipple on the Mcylinder would have made a lot of sense but there isnt one, bleeding the brake on the bike is a waste of time.

Lubricate the pivot bolt , then reassemble.

Remove the caliper and clean every 6month to year to keep it fresh.
CHeers
Pod
Stay calm.
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

Welcome in deekay :D

yes cracked rear disc is compulsary :roll: as is the Grin :D :D
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
shebee
Site Admin
Facebook address thingy: facebook.com/shebee.duff

Post by shebee »

Welcome!
deekay
On the Road

Post by deekay »

Pod, thank you so much for your info, very good and I will follow it as it all seems logical, makes you wonder sometimes when a design fault keeps being perpetuated, no logic here. Had an old Porsche 911catch fire on me once through disc seizure, not a good look. The manufacturer must know they have a problem from the number of discs sold. Thank you to those that welcomed me, I am a member of other forums and I find that they are all great, I am not sure of the collective noun for a group of bike nuts is but the common bond thing seems to work well. I have a clubman car as well and that group is very tight and helpful. thanks again for the welcome and I look forward to learning more about the baby, denis.
to be old and wise you must first be young and stupid
Cavia
On the Road

Post by Cavia »

Hi Deekay,

Welcome! :D
No bike is ever finished!
pod
On the Road

nae bother

Post by pod »

Hi Denis
your welcome , the raptor is a good machine.
Some mods to make it better are.
Rear end jack up plates or dog bones, pins the front end down and stops steering shake. A plus.Doea lift the tail a tad though.
Im 5 foot 10 and a wee bit, the seat was too low for me , had it recovered with a bit more foam, much better for long distances.
New chain sprockets and oiler , the original chains are crap and V twins eat chains.

Check the fuel tank filler area breather is not blocked , this is the only real hassle Ive had, when it blocks the tank gets water in it ., it discharges down below the RHS foot rest, two pipes , ones the tank breather , blow through each to prove clear, mine had a fly in it!
Cheers
Pod
Stay calm.
deekay
On the Road

Post by deekay »

thanks for the tips pod, What chain profile do these bikes use do you know, it would be helpfull in finding a new chain and sprockets, thanks again, denis.
to be old and wise you must first be young and stupid
pod
On the Road

cains

Post by pod »

Sorry cant help, Ive just bought complete kits listed for my 650.
The thou uses a bigger chain.
Stay calm.