V RAPTOR ADVICE

Technical stuff specific to the V and Xtra raptors
mongoose

V RAPTOR ADVICE

Post by mongoose »

Hi all,
I've had my 2000 V Raptor for nearly a year now and i love it to death but its let me down a few of times.
First it started playing up on a trip in the wet, which i found was water getting in around the front plug. I sealed around it with some heat resistant mastic.
Next the fuel pump died and cost me a fortune. Then a while later my rear shock bled to death which didn't cost me as much but still inconvenient.
The bike reminds me of one those beautiful women who bewitches you, but then starts messing with your head, flirting with other guys at parties etc. You forgive her cause shes so hot then she does it again .
My question is, are these the most common problems of the Raptor and now my love affair can continue with complete trust or is my beauty going to let me down again ? :?
philattersall
On the Road

Post by philattersall »

The water problem yeah. Most use a bit of rubber matting to solve the problem. I have on mine. No problems since
Fuel pump. Unlucky i think.
Rear Shock. Yep happened to me

You may well have some more minor problems with it.
Question is. Do you die having slept with two ugly women, or one Cindy Crawford?
TLMONKEY
On the Road

Post by TLMONKEY »

Standard chains have been know to snap and rear discs do crack.
So i would say when you can afford to replace your chain and fit a aftermarket rear disc,which is a good excuse to fit a wavy rear disc :)
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

Hi Mongoose welcome in :D

yes to the above - the guys have it about right there - guess I was lucky that my shocker and disc went while she was still within warranty.

I've worn out a few things :oops: - broken some stuff and added very little thats not day-to-day practical to mine (apart from the carbon and the wavy discs :twisted: )
still, the fizz and grin after a Raptor run out along the twisties is priceless :D :lol: :D
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
mongoose

Post by mongoose »

Ok, i spoke too soon.....since i put the new fuel pump in its been running fine except on 2 occasions the fuel pump fuse has blown for no apparent reason. After i replaced the fuse it started fine but about a month later it did it again. I replaced the fuse and its now running fine but its a worry when you're on a freeway and you have to quickly find a spot to pullover before you're run over!!! I'm pretty sure the positive connection isn't touching the body anywhere, any ideas anybody ??? :? :?