Minor mods thread

General spannery stuff
Spyke
On the Road

Re: Minor mods thread

Post by Spyke »

Twin "racing" HEL brake lines, in carbo-look, IIRC. Suggested by my mechanic as he didn't like the splitter thingo. Got a black twin fuel line clamp off fleabay, and drilled it out to hold the lines in place.
HEL.jpg
HEL.jpg (53.03 KiB) Viewed 2806 times
Road racing's where it's at - going round in circles all day is for hamsters.
ozzraptor
On the Road

Post by ozzraptor »

Spyke wrote:Twin "racing" HEL brake lines, in carbo-look, IIRC. Suggested by my mechanic as he didn't like the splitter thingo. Got a black twin fuel line clamp off fleabay, and drilled it out to hold the lines in place.
HEL.jpg
nice , those will be a big improvement on the stock 2-1 setup, have you got a link for those ?
Spyke
On the Road

Post by Spyke »

ozzraptor wrote:
Spyke wrote:Twin "racing" HEL brake lines, in carbo-look, IIRC. Suggested by my mechanic as he didn't like the splitter thingo. Got a black twin fuel line clamp off fleabay, and drilled it out to hold the lines in place.
HEL.jpg
nice , those will be a big improvement on the stock 2-1 setup, have you got a link for those ?
Sure do!
Brake lines: http://www.helperformance.com.au/hel-br ... 1-174.html
Hose separator: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/160890835729

BTW, the lines did come with the black banjos I'd ordered, but with the wrong (pitch?) double banjo bolt, which we didn't realise till my old lines were off....luckily a car racing place up the road from me had the correct thing so I nipped up and grabbed it for about AU$10, I'll get into the garage again tomorrow and see if I still have that bit of paper, but if you do order them you might want to double check that all fittings are correct before you start taking things apart!
ozzraptor
On the Road

Post by ozzraptor »

Spyke wrote:
ozzraptor wrote:
HEL.jpg
Sure do!
Brake lines: http://www.helperformance.com.au/hel-br ... 1-174.html
Hose separator: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/160890835729

BTW, the lines did come with the black banjos I'd ordered, but with the wrong (pitch?) double banjo bolt, which we didn't realise till my old lines were off....luckily a car racing place up the road from me had the correct thing so I nipped up and grabbed it for about AU$10, I'll get into the garage again tomorrow and see if I still have that bit of paper, but if you do order them you might want to double check that all fittings are correct before you start taking things apart!
thanks for the heads up, i take it the banjo we need is a 1.25 pitch and they sent a 1. Will have to have a look i think i have a couple of double banjos lying around, yeah the australian fittings are also wider at the hose end than those from the u.s. so you need the banjo to suit . The ones one the left of pic are the australian and the others are from mostly u.s. The gold one is ti ,thread is the same hopefully i can use that one
Spyke
On the Road

Post by Spyke »

ozzraptor wrote:thanks for the heads up, i take it the banjo we need is a 1.25 pitch and they sent a 1. Will have to have a look i think i have a couple of double banjos lying around, yeah the australian fittings are also wider at the hose end than those from the u.s. so you need the banjo to suit . The ones one the left of pic are the australian and the others are from mostly u.s. The gold one is ti ,thread is the same hopefully i can use that one
Yes, I think that's right. I had a look round the garage, but I can't find the receipt or packaging from the bolt I bought, apparently my filing system isn't perfect! But of the 4 banjo bolts I have here now the only double (the HEL-supplied double I guess) is M10*1.0 - it looks like it hasn't been used! The brassy coloured one that I think came off the master cylinder end of the OEM set-up is M10*1.25, but I do have two darker-coloured M10*1.0 singles as well, which I think came from the calliper end of the hoses - the colour matches the bolt at the calliper end of the rear brake line, and the banjo bolts on the front callipers look silvery and new, so I think they probably came from HEL too. So you'll need a double M10*1.25, which is what that tasty ti one looks like, to my eye. I can't remember now whether the HEL lines came with three banjo bolts, or just the one double. If you check yours and the calliper end bolts are dirty grey, and the MC end is brassy, then I probably got the three, but if your calliper end ones are silvery then I probably got just one!

It seems a bit odd that the calliper ends would have a finer thread than the master cylinder end, or does that sound right to you?

BTW, the HEL lines come with little yellow tags on them, do not cut these off as these are the tags that indicate that the lines are DOT-approved, apparently.

Anyway now that I've looked at my nice black banjos I've noticed that the banjo bolt I do have has a big fat and ugly head on it, which is displeasing to my eye! I've spent a wee bit of time and effort on my bolts, and this is gonna bug me, so when I get a job I think I'll invest in one of these! http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/121258473503
Banjo.jpg
Banjo.jpg (69.61 KiB) Viewed 2780 times
ozzraptor
On the Road

Post by ozzraptor »

I know suzuki masters are mostly 1.25 ,not sure about the brembo end until i get to pulling it apart but that wouldnt surprise me if they were 1. pitch . How does the lever feel now ? Very nice another mod to do. Got my shortened link pipes back from ceramic today .Finished fitting tre , lucky got to hide it behind the frame rail and modded snorkel so cant be seen ,yay :ride: Notice the new gpr cans (warranty replacement) dont come with stickers ,they have gpr stamped into the exhaust itself. These are light (ti) 5lbs (grandmas old english scales :D ) each side as compared with 14lbs stock . They are the street cans (homologated) but give a nice sound with both baffles out , 2 for each side but so i guess they are street legal as they have the E3 stamp . Oh these would look nice on top off those forks, i ordered some yesterday (22mm)
Spyke
On the Road

Post by Spyke »

Yeah really happy with all the work done, got her oil and filter done today, ready for the weekend's shenanigans :revrev:
I was getting slight weeping from the generator plug so I cleaned that out and put a new O ring in there while I was at it, hopefully a "standard" 33mm*3mm will fit better than the OEM 32.7mm*3.1mm, worth a go anyway,for a couple of bucks.

Your pipes are looking great now, hopefully you'll be very happy with them, I know losing all that weight made a huge difference to my centre of gravity and my slow-manoeuvring comfort level, it sucks being a shorty! Yeah those adjusters look mint, yet another thing for the "when I've got a job" list, thanks for sharing!
Spyke
On the Road

Post by Spyke »

Just a heads up, about those number plate lights I posted previously, as I've broken one of mine now! They come with quite a long screw thread on them, with the wires coming out of the screw part. When I installed them there was quite a sharp bend in the wires as they left the screw so I used heat shrink and hot glued that to the plate holder. Unfortunately the bend was so sharp, and the end of the screw so jaggy, that the end of the screw cut through one of the wires.

The lights are made as one piece, so I got my junior hacksaw out and carefully tried to saw off some of the screw, so I could get at a piece of wire to solder, but I failed miserably! I ordered another pair as I still think they're great, but when they arrive I will find a way to keep the little light wires from rubbing on the screw end - at the moment I'm thinking a few drops of shoe glue (waterproof and flexible) dribbled down the wire then the wire held in place while the glue sets, and then heat shrunk, as my other thought of using black silicone gasket material would be harder to shove down the wee hole due to it's lack of viscosity. If you've got any other suggestions as to how I could reinforce the tiny wires then please let me know!

Anyway here's a pic of the other one which also broke a wire as I took it apart, you can see just how fine the power wires are though, and there's no room for heat shrink between the wires and the screw.
Busted.jpg
Busted.jpg (20 KiB) Viewed 2755 times