Wot's yer tyres ?

Chat about anything
Red Mist
On the Road

Re: Wot's yer tyres ?

Post by Red Mist »

Red Mist wrote:I've got Dunlop Sportmax's on mine that were brand new when I got the bike last November. I've done 3500 miles on them now, but at best I'll only get another 1000 out of the back. A lot of my riding has involved pottering around in Winter as well.

I've never really rated them although they seem to grip well in the dry and I get the pegs down fairly regularly. I'm not convinced that the're dead stable and they are affected badly by hitting cat's eyes and white lines when cornering. They don't seem to grip as well in the dry as the Bridgestone BT-021s that I had on my previous bike, though I lost the front end of that really easy on a wet road so who knows. I was surprised to find that the Dunlops were rated really highly by Bike magazine recently. I mean, they've been okay, but surely there are better.

Might go for the new Bridgestone 023s when the time comes to change.
Well I actually managed to squeeze 5000 miles out of the rear. There was still a bit of tread left but the profile was pogged. I've replaced it with a Dunlop Qualifier (as the closest replacement). At the end of the day, the Sportmax never gave me any bad moments. I figured that I would get another Dunlop to match the front which still has a fair amount of life in it. When that's shot, the latest new tyres should well and truly have been tested and rated, so when the time comes I'll change the pair for whatever seems best.
weirdo
On the Road

Post by weirdo »

I only just got round to changing them today after all this. :oops:

I've gone for avon storm ultra 2, £190 delivered. Put them on the bike today but can't comment on 'em as i've not been out yet, the rear must have a different profile to the last one though, because there's actually clearance now with the hugger :thumbsup:

I sat in the garage and went :revrev: though. :D

(actually i didn't...... i just wanted to use that emoticon :mrgreen: ) :revrev: Whoops! there i go again :oops:
To a Raptor....EVERYTHING else is just prey !!

WOOHOO!...TWINS!
exposuredesigns
On the Road

Post by exposuredesigns »

I have Michy Pilot Pure's on. They have good all round grip with dual compound etc. They have a wicked looking tread pattern to boot. :woot:
Sika56
On the Road

Post by Sika56 »

Michelin Pilot's , 120/70 and 180/55.

They are very good, with great stickiness when warm. I can't speak for their wet-weather performance as it hasn't rained here in the Territory in the 5 months I've owned her. The monsoons are coming up though, and I'll let you know. :|
Motorcycles - helping ugly people have sex since 1903.
Sika56
On the Road

Post by Sika56 »

OK, the rains have arrived, and I can report that the Michelin Pilots on my Raptor handle wet tarmac pretty well.

Pretty good tyres overall. They're softish and probably wouldn't last like some Bridgestones, Dunlops or Continentals I've known, but they also probably hold the road better. I'll buy them again.
Motorcycles - helping ugly people have sex since 1903.