Mike Edwards on SKY

Chat about anything
pod
On the Road

Mike Edwards on SKY

Post by pod »

Greetings
just watched Mike Edwards show the minitwins racers a clean pair of heels on his Raptor. My mate had captured it on disc from SKY, great riding Mike well done.
Got any comments on the Raptor set up you might like to pass on?
Cheers
Pod
Stay calm.
shebee
Site Admin
Facebook address thingy: facebook.com/shebee.duff

Post by shebee »

oooh ooh a famous person here 8) Nice one Pod, thanks for letting us know, and Well done Mike xxx
Mike Edwards
On the Road

Post by Mike Edwards »

In that particular instance the bike was mine but the rider was the 'other' Mike Edwards (ex-British SuperSport 600 Champion).

Normally it's me riding but so far back you don't tend to see me on the telly!

Mike was having a one off ride on the Raptor whilst Matt Bond (no. 63) was riding the my SV650 as he did at all MRO MiniTwins rounds last year.

Matt won the championship, and beat Mike in one of the races, whilst Mike got the trophy for the one round he entered.

In fact, I've got the rather large trophy that he won sitting here :D

Did I mention that I'm giving away that very bike and entries and tyres for a season of MiniTwins racing? See www.givemethekeys.com/minitwins for details.
Mike Edwards
On the Road

Re: Mike Edwards on SKY

Post by Mike Edwards »

pod wrote:55 years agoGot any comments on the Raptor set up you might like to pass on?
Spending a grand or so on the suspension makes the biggest difference. Custom made Ohlins rear shock (still on original suspension linkages) couple with R6 race cartridges with Ohlins springs, etc. in the forks.

When I rode it with 8.5 kg springs in the front end with a small air gap and a 7.5 kg spring on the rear it handled okay but kept bottoming out the forks. Putting a 9 kg spring in the front was much better but everyone, apart from me that is, thought the front was now too hard.

Having Mike ride it for a couple of practice sessions and we were back down to 8.5 kg springs in the front with a much larger air gap. The rear went up from a 7.5 kg spring to a 10 kg spring.

The moral of the story is that unless you really know what you are doing you can end up going the wrong way with suspension set up and not know any better.

With the new settings and the ground clearance problems Mike was suffering from all sorted the bike is absolutey amazing on track.

Did I mention I was giving it away? :D
simon67
On the Road

Post by simon67 »