Rear cylinder exhaust joint

Technical stuff specific to the Raptor 1000
drsuis

Rear cylinder exhaust joint

Post by drsuis »

I've taken the exhaust pipe off Raptor 1000 to paint it, and when I disconnected it from the short rear cylinder exhaust pipe a metal ring dropped out of the joint (about 10mm wide x 1mm thick). I thought the ring was sitting above the gasket, but the gasket fell to pieces as I removed it, and I'm wondering if the ring should actually sit below the gasket . Can anyone please tell me where it should go, before I put it together incorrectly and wreck another gasket (at $36 each!!)
Thanks
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

I'm hunting for the diagram of the zorsts and gaskets - but the joints have either a 10mm or a 25mm ish gasket not both - so I'm confused - I'll keep searching for the diag

(TL1000 gaskets do the job and cheaper if you need them - although the bigger one is not quite as deep)
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
shebee
Site Admin
Facebook address thingy: facebook.com/shebee.duff

Post by shebee »

Hope this helps

xx

Sheb

Aussie Shagger
On the Road

Post by Aussie Shagger »

That ring was my bane for a while...
My clamp came loose and that bloody ring just kept on jingling all the bloody time..gave me the shits! (Sounded like a Ducati though). It's just a spacer and needs to be hard up against the exhaust and rear header but I could never pack out the exhaust properly and air was always blowing out and making the spacer jingle...so I got a mob in Melbs to fix it with a specially made clamp. Bob's yer aunty!
Don't ya just dig a round-a-bout!.....2003 Xtra Raptor (222/999), Gold Renthal Bars, Giannelli Pipes, Throttle Rocker, Ventura Rack, Blue LED Instrument Panel, Headlight Protector, LED Tail Light.
drsuis

Post by drsuis »

Thanks for the advice guys, it was a big help - I see the spacer does go above the gasket. (I have actually ordered a TL1000 gasket -assumming incorrectly that the exhausts were ex TL....)
drsuis

Post by drsuis »

I picked up the TL exhaust joint gasket today -it seems a fairly tight fit over both the rear cylinder pipe and into the main exhaust -ie it won't just slide on or in. Are there are tricks to putting it together without damaging the gasket?
Cheers
Aussie Shagger
On the Road

Post by Aussie Shagger »

The exhaust pipe has slots that enable it to expand and contract so maybe it isn't big enough to fit around.....?!
Don't ya just dig a round-a-bout!.....2003 Xtra Raptor (222/999), Gold Renthal Bars, Giannelli Pipes, Throttle Rocker, Ventura Rack, Blue LED Instrument Panel, Headlight Protector, LED Tail Light.
TLMONKEY
On the Road

Post by TLMONKEY »

drsuis wrote:55 years agoI picked up the TL exhaust joint gasket today -it seems a fairly tight fit over both the rear cylinder pipe and into the main exhaust -ie it won't just slide on or in. Are there are tricks to putting it together without damaging the gasket?
Cheers
I had the same problem with mine,so all i did was to get a pair of plier's and bend the end of the pipe were it goes onto the rear header stubby pipe beause you can pull it back again once gasket is in with the clamp when you tighten it up:)
Hope that help's
ozzraptor
On the Road

Re: Rear cylinder exhaust joint

Post by ozzraptor »

Dragging an old thread up again i found the same thing with my exhaust , is this normal for the ring attatched to the rear spigot just above clamp to be rattling around or should it be somewhere else? Does this look right or has the exhaust dropped down the back pipe :thumbsup: thanks for any info

ozzraptor
On the Road

Re:

Post by ozzraptor »

Aussie Shagger wrote:55 years agoThat ring was my bane for a while...
My clamp came loose and that bloody ring just kept on jingling all the bloody time..gave me the shits! (Sounded like a Ducati though). It's just a spacer and needs to be hard up against the exhaust and rear header but I could never pack out the exhaust properly and air was always blowing out and making the spacer jingle...so I got a mob in Melbs to fix it with a specially made clamp. Bob's yer aunty!
:doh: should have read the whole post