Oil Leak

Technical stuff specific to the Raptor 1000
bolero
On the Road

Oil Leak

Post by bolero »

Hi all

Wondering if any of you had any suggestions regarding the following

I've got an oil leak from the outer clutch cover on the V-rap!... I've just replace the O ring seal and now I've just snapped one of the bolts that holds it on.. (doh.. no torque wrench so I was tightening as the bike was running try to stop the leaking , which by the way is from the 10 thru to 2 o'clock position) Any ideas on how to extract the bolt? And how tight should they be? in terms of arm-power lol ? And suggestions to why it might be leaking?

Cheers
Steve
RaptorMan
On the Road
Facebook address thingy: John Hocking Raptorman

Post by RaptorMan »

Is the bolt snapped flush with the crankcase mate :?:
If not,remove clutch cover and get a stud extractor (or mole grips)and work it out.
Replace any gaskets or seals that have been disturbed as they will probably not seal again :idea:
Be Loud Be Proud Be Heard
2002 V RAP 1000,Raucous,Rebellious and Hooliganistic
1997 BLACKBIRD,Quiet,Refined and Comfortable
stevepratt48
On the Road

Ooops!

Post by stevepratt48 »

If there is any stud protruding, don't rush in! Spray with WD40, or similar, leave overnight, then heat the alloy around the stud, using a heatgun, or boiling water, you might only get one chance, before rounding the stub, then it's down to drilling & stud extracting........
Oil leaks are rarely down to loose, sign of something amiss! try a thin smear of clear Silicon sealant, to the face, leave to cure B4 oiling. 8)
Steve Pratt

Are you coming, or just naturally happy?
bolero
On the Road

Post by bolero »

Cheers chaps.. I'll give it a go and let you know
Miz
On the Road

Post by Miz »

If there is any stud protruding from the casing, try finding a mild steel nut that will just fit over the stud, weld it to the remains of the bolt, wait a couple of mins for the heat to get into the alloy, then just wind the stud out of the case, tho the stud should not be tight unless it was too long and has bottomed out.

Miz.
152/999
bolero
On the Road

Post by bolero »

Cheers guys... When I took the cover off there was teenybit sticking out which I grabbed with a pair of mole grips and it was not even tight!.. undid it with my fingers.. presumably cos there was no torque on the stud?

Anyway.... got some allen bolts instead and sealed it with a bead of Silicon RTV so (though don't think -2c is anything like room temperature)

Gonna leave it out in the sun today and try it later

Thanks again
stevepratt48
On the Road

Oil leak

Post by stevepratt48 »

Sun? SUN?? When I were a lad, -2 was Summer hols, tokk 3 weeks to turn white, Blah, Blah! Glad you're sorted, usually the next one snaps......
Steve Pratt

Are you coming, or just naturally happy?
Al Grant
On the Road

oil leak

Post by Al Grant »

Just adding in case, the suzuki clutch cover oil seal which appears to fit isn't as thick as the Cagiva one and leaks no matter how bad you tighten it.

Al