Flasher unit

Technical stuff specific to the Raptor 1000
JimBo
On the Road

Flasher unit

Post by JimBo »

Anyone know of a replacement flasher unit for the Raptor 1000 that is easily obtained in the UK?

I don't want to have to wait for 3X to import one in from Cagiva if I can help it :roll: .

Thanks
So many motorcycles, so little money!
TimO
On the Road

Post by TimO »

JimBo

I went into a motorspares place (unipart I think) in Maidstone, near Lagunas. Bought a replacement off the shelf. Exactly the same size, it flashes a little quicker, but then I've replaced the indicators with some pointy bright ones which I think fried the old flasher unit. It cost about £5.
I'll have a look under the seat tomorrow and get the details off it.

TimO :D
Runs With Scissors
On the Road

Post by Runs With Scissors »

Mine karked it after a few months of pushing too many watts through it (new really bright indicators).

Replaced with Tridon brand (part number HD12PAC) found at the local Super Cheap Auto.
No problems since.

This in is Oz... maybe they are available over thar...

Incidently the listing for the unit indicated (:-)) that it was also suitable for my Mk2 Capri ... maybe Ford GB can help you out there....

Hope this helps.
If you aren't living on the edge you are taking up too much room.
JimBo
On the Road

Post by JimBo »

Thanks for the info' guys.

The unit in the bike at the moment is rated 10 watts, but all the flasher units available from the motor factors round here are rated 21 watts. I think this is the standard for cars, but I have been told the old minis used this wattage so maybe they were all like your Capri RWS.

Maidstone is "just down the road" for me TimO so that looks like the easy solution, especially for £5 8) .
We'll have to meet up some time as we actually live quite close (well, closer than Australia :lol: ).
TimO
On the Road

Post by TimO »

JimBo

The flasher unit I have is a 21w, (21w x 2 +5w, whatever that all means) works fine.

It would be good to meet up with another Raptor owner, never seen another one. I go to Maidstone quite regularly, let me know when you're next going

TimO
JimBo
On the Road

Post by JimBo »

If I use a 21W rated unit will I have to change the bulbs?
Runs With Scissors
On the Road

Post by Runs With Scissors »

Nup,
I've always assumed that as long as the combined wattage of the bulbs the circuit doesn't exceed the rating of the flasher unit (in this case 21W) then everthing will work fine.
This has borne out by experience so far......
If you aren't living on the edge you are taking up too much room.
stevepratt48
On the Road

Post by stevepratt48 »

Nearly....
If the current drawn is too low (Low wattage, or LED) then the unit will flash slowly, or slllooowwwwlllly (As in MOT fail) so they need to be close. :?
Steve Pratt

Are you coming, or just naturally happy?