lots of things

Technical stuff specific to the Raptor 1000
Zane
On the Road

Post by Zane »

I've got an Xtra Raptor and have removed the steering dampner unit. But I ride all my bikes without it. I prefer the wobble and head shake thing.

Hey If anyone is interested I am willing to sell the steering dampner complete unit. Send me an email to info@zanedesign.com.au and I will email you images of the unit.
Loves a squirt in the mountains with the Raptor....yeeeehaaaa
JimBo
On the Road

Post by JimBo »

Zane wrote:55 years agoI prefer the wobble and head shake thing.
I'm not alone then! I find the head shake reassuring as I know exactly when and under what conditions its going to happen. Its not severe and I have never thought I need a damper.

Would a steering damper not mask any problems with head bearings, suspension or tyres that may be developing? I view them much like the caravan stabiliser, surely you should identify and eradicate the cause, not the effects!
So many motorcycles, so little money!
stevepratt48
On the Road

Post by stevepratt48 »

I know I'm showing my age, but I remember riding an Ariel 500 (Rigid) with a friction damper. If you tightened the damper (A fraction!) too much, progress was in a series of slow weaves, very unsettling. Give me a little shake, anytime! If wheel/swinging/steering bearings are tight, and forks damped, I don't see the need! :roll:
Steve Pratt

Are you coming, or just naturally happy?
shebee
Site Admin
Facebook address thingy: facebook.com/shebee.duff

Post by shebee »

As a Standard Raptor rider Ive not had the damper option, but I too like the ride as it is. .... but then I have been fighting big Harleys round corners for years so the Raptor is no real problem! 8)

Steve... I have a 500 Ariel Red Hunter (1950 Rigid)... it was my first real bike given to me as my 18th birthday present.. she is 'resting' at the moment in storage awaiting time and workshop space for a rebuild. So I know exactly what you mean :lol:
stevepratt48
On the Road

Post by stevepratt48 »

In my day, they were things you found in sheds, paid a couple of quid, or free, and thrashed around!
Never found a Vinnie, though, maybe that's why I like the Raptor so much!
Miserable So & So never showed up last night, to buy my second bike, so it's still going, still have to pay the 'Bay fees, nice people out there....... :evil:
Steve Pratt

Are you coming, or just naturally happy?
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

stevepratt48 wrote:55 years ago.........Miserable So & So never showed up last night, to buy my second bike........ :evil:
unlucky Steve :( I wish you better fortune next time :D
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
mishmosh69
On the Road

Post by mishmosh69 »

well all i can say is that these bloody norfolk roads are shite, bumpy and dangerous, have to blame something. :?
I love my red beast
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

mishmosh69 wrote:55 years agowell all i can say is that these bloody norfolk roads are shite, bumpy and dangerous, have to blame something. :?
yup they were awful bad last time I visited - complain to the council :D

:lol: fat chance eh?
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>