lots of things

Technical stuff specific to the Raptor 1000
mishmosh69
On the Road

lots of things

Post by mishmosh69 »

need advice on steering damper for the rap, lowering and what effect this would have, (im only 5ft 1", and have to judge where i stop), i fitted a tre and cut down snorkels which has helped with the running, but still got snatchy throttle, someone please help
shebee
Site Admin
Facebook address thingy: facebook.com/shebee.duff

Post by shebee »

Welcome to the asylum! 8)

.... Someone more technical will be along soon to answer!
stevepratt48
On the Road

Post by stevepratt48 »

Whya need a damper?? As is, is fine!
If you lower the front, only (Easy, dropping stanchions through the yokes, 10 minutes) you'll quicken the steering, make it a bit twitchy, might then need a damper! <1" you'd probably not notice too much (That would give you ~ 1/2" seat height.
If you drop the back, to match, by making a new pair of plates (Or redrilling?)the steering will stay neutral, but ground clearance will be less......
Have you considered having the seat reprofiled? There are a few advertising that sevice.
Look on the bright side, less distance to fall!
:P
Steve Pratt

Are you coming, or just naturally happy?
Cavia
On the Road

Post by Cavia »

HI and welcome :P

As steve said, also syncronising the throttle bodies and checking the throttle sensor did a lot of good for engine response on mine.
No bike is ever finished!
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

At 5'3" and a bit I can get my feet flat on the floor, so I dont quite understand why you need it lower, mind you mine's a 2001 maybe they're making them taller these days :oops:
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
shebee
Site Admin

Post by shebee »

Maybe Mishmosh69 has short legs long body?

I have never found the need for steering damper either. Mine is a 2000.

On the height , have you thought about taking some of the padding out of the seat... thats what I did with the Triumph Tiger I had... at 5ft 6 that was a little tall for me too :wink: dont take it all out or it'll be bloody uncomfortable, take a little out of the top and some of from the sides and that might do it/

I got mine re-trimmed by a local company that does classic car upholstery.

You may also want to try putting the fork tubes through the yokes 10 mm or so this will quicken the steering a bit and so if you think you want a steering damper now you may well need one if you do that!

HTH

Shebxx
shebee
Site Admin

Post by shebee »

I have just realised that I have just repeated everything that Steve said sorry its been that sort of week....

:oops:
craftycat
On the Road
Facebook address thingy: saragracewevillceramics

Post by craftycat »

Had my seat cut down as I am also 5ft 1 have very short legs as well which doesn't help!! hopefully if I have this right you'll see a before and after on the seat!!Image
2002 Cagiva Raptor 1000... mine all mine!!
craftycat
On the Road

Post by craftycat »

Have to say I think the new seat looks better than the original!! Also had a gel layer put in so very comfy!
I'm considering lowering her a teensy bit more as I'm still a bit tippy toe. Thinking about a shorter shock, already lowered the forks. I can recommend Ladystar Daytona boots which have a built up platform and give you another inch or so.. that's if your a girly!!!! If you're a bloke then commiserations on being 5 ft 1!
snapdragon

Re: lots of things

Post by snapdragon »

mishmosh69 wrote:55 years agoi fitted a tre and cut down snorkels which has helped with the running, but still got snatchy throttle, someone please help
Is it snatchy all the time mishmosh?

mine has an 'event' at 3000 revs when she's cold but it's not constant - it just means that i use second in town when she's cold and fourth when she's warm, for me it was just a case of avoiding (riding through) that particular rev area:

Mind you mine is stock as far as the engine is concerned, I have fitted no trees nor chopped any snorkels

Done a good few miles though :D 8) :D
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
mishmosh69
On the Road

Post by mishmosh69 »

perhaps i should start again!!!!
yes i am a girlie! with very short legs. and it seems that all us girlies ride these bikes. I done the airfilter inlet ducts (snorkels) b'cos mine where collapsing when i accelerate, causing restriction and spluttering at high speed. And as you should all know the tl1000s engine is restricted, as are most suzuki's, i found this to be a problem all the time at 4-5000 rpm, thats why i fitted the timing retard eliminator (tre), seems to have cured some off the problem but does happen occasionally, acceleration is brillant now thou. went to see baines racing friday and they reccommend as most people i spoke to do, that i get a power commander fitted, less top end, but i prefer grunt rather than top end, they did recommend as some of you have not to touch the back end but drop the forks through, no more than 15mm, as for the steering damper, they said that this would only disguise the problem of head shaking, not cure it. i am thinking of fitting a screen cos of getting knocked about and hanging on the handlebars, making the wobble worse.
i do love the look of crafty's bike and will defiantly have the seat done, i also appreciate her understanding. ps it is snatchy in first and second mostly
craftycat
On the Road

Post by craftycat »

No problem mishmosh!! Mine is suffering similar running problems at the mo. Hubby is going to have a look today so he now has lots of ideas!! Air filter, the throttle sensor wotsit as mentioned in another post, snorkles and all sorts of other things!! Think I'll lock the garage door and not let him out till it's sorted!! :twisted:
mishmosh69
On the Road

Post by mishmosh69 »

oh yeah by the way, should have said, i have the original cans on, but all the internals have been removed, and are now straight through cans, ie race cans and they sounds loud and throaty. baines racing reccommend changing the original cans too. :D. i do love my bike 8)
stevepratt48
On the Road

Post by stevepratt48 »

Something else you might think about...
Lower profile tyres will drop the bike, given that you'll need them, anyway, at some point, worth considering??
Steve Pratt

Are you coming, or just naturally happy?
shebee
Site Admin

Post by shebee »

I fitted a screen on mine for a bit, but it caused her to shake her head at 80+ which was the time I needed the protection most and a shakey head least so I took it offagain!

But others have fitted screens with no reported ptoblems so maybe it was :oops: just me
Last edited by shebee on |April 19th, 2007|, 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.