Snappy Throttle

Technical stuff specific to the Raptor 1000
Gfunk
On the Road

Snappy Throttle

Post by Gfunk »

Hi Everyone! :D

I have a 2000 raptor with a power commander, airbox mod and loud end cans, (scorpion i think). I find that the on/off throttle response is very sudden, is this a problem with most raptors and can it be solved?

Also what tyres do you all use? I'm currently on Bridgestone 014's and front and rear need to be renewed.

Thanks Craig.
zorro
On the Road

Post by zorro »

Hi Gfunk,

I have the same problem and is why I've asked about TRE's which I beleive rectifies the the abrupt on/off throttle response,read my previous post,Miz and Cavia gave me some good info.but still unsure exactly which is the best to go for.

Regards,zorro 8)
stevepratt48
On the Road

Post by stevepratt48 »

Hi! Don't think the TRE will stop snatchy throttle, more likely to kick in harder! Most likely would be TPS adjustment, or injector balance (ie rear cylinder not kicking in, 'til front well open (Any slack in the linkage?
Worth spending some time on TPS, pays dividends on take off & traffic filtering. Yes, it will be frustrating, trying.
Steve Pratt

Are you coming, or just naturally happy?
Brihass
On the Road

Post by Brihass »

Hi Gfunk,

think you will find this snatchy throttle fuelling problem with anything that uses the Suzuki TL1000 engine, mine was simply on/off at 3000rpm which made town riding quite an art (solution - open roads - balls out !!!!).
I fitted a power commander and this smoothed out the fuelling perfectly. If your's is still snatchy after fitting your PC2, then you could look at different fuel maps, but probably throttle body sync, and/or TPS setting.

As you probably know, the post 1997 engines are slighlty restricted on power in the lower gears due to the reputation of the earlier 1997 TL1000s. This was achieved by slightly retarding the ignition up to 6000rpm in the first 4 gears, after 6000rpm everything is full power, as is 5th and 6th. The TRE which plugs in-line with the gear positon sensor works by changing the electrical resistance of the first 4 gears which fools the ECM and fuels for 5th or 6th gear, ie. full power all through the rev range. The difference with the smart TRE is that it turns off in nuetral, as a normal TRE can cause a really rough tickover.

As for tyres, a personal choice, but I fitted Michelin Pilot Power 2CT dual compounds which I think are excellent.

regards :lol:
140/999 Xtra Raptor.....Carbon Quill Cans, Carbon Hugger, Carbon Rear Guard, Carbon Bar End Mirrors, Renthal Bars, Belly Pan, Power Commander, K&N, TRE, Iridium Plugs, Silicon Leads, 2CT's.
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

Hi Gfunk :D - Bridgestones here too - 020's currently, they do for me year round
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
Gfunk
On the Road

Post by Gfunk »

Hello!

Played with the throttle bodies over the weekend, turns out the rear T.B was out of sync with the front! The bike now pulls from closed throttle cleanly with no jolts it's like a new bike! As for tyres i'm going to try Michelin Pilot Power 2CT and see how i get with them. A quick thanks for everyone who replied,

Craig.