Ok, what tyres have you got!

Technical stuff specific to the Raptor 1000
craftycat
On the Road
Facebook address thingy: saragracewevillceramics

Ok, what tyres have you got!

Post by craftycat »

Finally decided to bite the bullet and get rid of the bloody Metzeler tyres that my Raptor came with! It's got to go on plastic but after the ride in the rain back from the GP circuit here in Le Mans on sunday I think I'd rather pay interest on a credit card than on my medical insurance!!! The tyres are so hard they still look virtually new even after well over 5000 miles.. a lot of them in the pyrenees, round our windy lanes and a lot of the way across France! People riding behind me were shaking their heads in disbelief at the lack of grip... first thing a mate said was... Girl, you have GOT to change those tyres! Admittedly the weather was atrocious and I have been lucky with weather and it was the first time in real wet weather with this bike. Have to say I was not a happy bunny when we got back! Dawned on me that the centre of the tyre has absolutely no cuts into it so we were all scratching our heads wondering how on earth the water is supposed to be dispersed! Bizarre.. no idea what the designers were thinking.
So.... now the question is which tyres! I fancied Pilot powers with the twin compound, Hubby reckons I should go for the Battlax 020's, another mate who had a 999 reckons Pirelli diablo corsas...... decisions decisions.... any comments? I'd rather get the opinion of other raptor 1000 riders so please folks tell me what you think!
2002 Cagiva Raptor 1000... mine all mine!!
zorro
On the Road

Post by zorro »

Hi craftycat,

I have pilot powers on mine and love em,I'm bit biased toward Michelin,I'm sure other brands are equally as good.
Have heard Continental Sport Attacks are good too,depends on your type of riding,these are sport tyres, you mentioned B/S 020's these are sport/touring tyres which have been superceeded by B/S 021's I'd still prefer Mitchy Pilot Road 2ct's if your touring more than sporting.

Regards,zorro 8)
Amanda M
On the Road

Post by Amanda M »

Pilot power sports on mine and they're ace tyres. Tons of grip :twisted:
mishmosh69
On the Road

Post by mishmosh69 »

i got dunlop 208's on, brlliant in the dry, i been right over on these, but don't like the way the front wears and dont't trust em in the wet, bridgestones 020's are slightly better wet grip, but im going for the michelin pilot road 2's next
I love my red beast
craftycat
On the Road

Post by craftycat »

Thanks folks, you confirmed my gut feeling... michelin pilots... will probably have to be the road 2 c's as we do a fair amount of touring, I think they'll also be good enough to let me have some fun on the twisties and safe in the wet. Now have to take a deep breath and flash the plastic! Ideally pretty soon as I want them scrubbed in nicely for our trip to the TT!!
Gfunk
On the Road

Post by Gfunk »

Hi Craftycat.

I have just worn my Bridgestones 014's down to the wear bars and can't fault them and the rear lasted quite a while too. Now i'm going for Michelin Pilot Power 2CT to see how they turn out! Not cheap mind.
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

I still go for Bridgestones but Michelin (new sport /tour tyre? is that the C2?) looks good and user feedback seems like its a good match for Raptor torque
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
mishmosh69
On the Road

Post by mishmosh69 »

The sport/touring michelin tyre, is pilot road 2, meduim compound in the middle, soft outer, pilot power 2ct is the sports version, im ripping through sport tyres, thats why im going for the dual compound pilot road 2 :wink: :P
I love my red beast
Aussie Shagger
On the Road

Post by Aussie Shagger »

Have Pilot road's on mine right now, can not fault them specially in the wet. already bought some pilot powers for the next set though as fellow X Rap owner has raved about them, very sticky in the corners ...
Don't ya just dig a round-a-bout!.....2003 Xtra Raptor (222/999), Gold Renthal Bars, Giannelli Pipes, Throttle Rocker, Ventura Rack, Blue LED Instrument Panel, Headlight Protector, LED Tail Light.
craftycat
On the Road

Post by craftycat »

Well... I was decided now hubby has said he reckons I should have the Michelin Pilot power sports!! There was me saying I would have the roads because it would be more economical and he's the one wanting to splash the cash!!! Not even his bike!! Hmmmm he's after something I reckon!!!
Going to have to go and find the michelin website, whats the range of tyres? Pilot power sport, is it pilot power road or just Pilot road? the dual compound is the sport tourer not the original pilot road.... it's enough to make your head hurt!!! Well... mine anyway!
mishmosh69
On the Road

Post by mishmosh69 »

if your looking for the pilot road 2, try ebay £170 + 6.95 delivery, just type in michelin pilot road 2 or michelin tyres, the real sporty 1 is named pilot power 2ct, :wink:
I love my red beast
craftycat
On the Road

Post by craftycat »

Found the site
http://two-wheels.michelin.com/2w/front ... 47&lang=EN
Interesting, just looked at some of the write ups for the new Pilot Road 2's... my decision is made!!!!! Confusing though seems like in the Pilot range we have Pilot power, Pilot power 2ct, Pilot sport, Pilot road, Pilot road 2... have to be absolutely sure of the name when we order them!!!
craftycat
On the Road

Post by craftycat »

Forgot to say, ebay is a nice idea but we're in France and so don't think the £6.95 delivery would count!!!
RaptorMan
On the Road
Facebook address thingy: John Hocking Raptorman

Post by RaptorMan »

Pirelli Diablo`s but think i`m gonna go back on the Bridgestones :idea:
Be Loud Be Proud Be Heard
2002 V RAP 1000,Raucous,Rebellious and Hooliganistic
1997 BLACKBIRD,Quiet,Refined and Comfortable
Brihass
On the Road

Post by Brihass »

Michelin Pilot Power 2CT's on mine.......so far so good......grip and lean angle awesome....wear rate ok.....wet grip good, but only been caught in a monsoon once....... Several laps around the TT course every morning at 5am last year Crafty... grip was fantastic...just mind the idiots coming the wrong way.. (mind you, mountain road is one-way this year)
140/999 Xtra Raptor.....Carbon Quill Cans, Carbon Hugger, Carbon Rear Guard, Carbon Bar End Mirrors, Renthal Bars, Belly Pan, Power Commander, K&N, TRE, Iridium Plugs, Silicon Leads, 2CT's.