190 rear

General spannery stuff
zorro
On the Road

190 rear

Post by zorro »

Hi all,

Anyone fitted a 190 rear tyre on their Rap. like Wreckah did on his Xtra-Rap for the track ( nice pics by the way Wreckah) I presume the Xtra has a 5.5" rim the same as the others,does it give more cornering contact area, what about overall diameter and does it look stretched or wider than a 180,just curious to know the benefit or reason for doing this.

Regards,zorro 8)
wreckah
On the Road

Post by wreckah »

hiya zorro,

i got a normal V-rap, not an Xtra one (too bad ;) )

but about the 190: i put a 190/55 BT002 on the rear because i had one lying around. It fits perfectly on the rim, and i have a good feeling about the whole setup.

For street riding i would probably go back to 180/55, mainly because it's cheaper. Normal street tires are also 190/50 instead of 55 which means they should steer a bit slower than the 180/55 (not that it matters much on a fast steering bike like the rap).

The BT002 has a very agressive pointy profile, so i cannot really compare to regular street tires. ( i think the BT002 was at least 3cms higher in the middle than the diablo that came off)

oh, i just remembered that the pirelli diablo tires i had on previously were also with a 190/50. No problems at all, even the hugger clears without any drama.

I have a set of michelin pilot powers lying around too (from a former bike of mine), and that's with a 190/50 rear. I will put those on when my BT002's are finished. 8) i think it's been about two years since i actually BOUGHT tires...i have so many collecting dust in the garage :lol:
zorro
On the Road

Post by zorro »

Hi wreckah,

Sorry,meant V-Rap.I was looking at an Xtra Rap.on flea-bay before posting and being half asleep just got a bit lost.I use Pilot Powers too and as you said they are a quick turning bike so might try a 190 next time,thanks.

Regards,zorro 8)
xfact
On the Road

Post by xfact »

I have 190's on my rap for 2 years now. They fit and steer perfectly. In fact, I never had any other size on my raptor.
Zane
On the Road

Post by Zane »

I went from a 190 back to a 180 rear on my x raptor. You will notice that with the 180 rear the bike corners much better. Easier to turn in as well as hold in a corner.

Supposedly when you have a 190 rear the bike tends to want to go wide on the exit of a corner.......

I suggest a 180 size. OK i know that the 190 looks cool. Big and nasty....but hey if your into cornering and not just the cafe latte lifestyle I would say go for the 180....
Loves a squirt in the mountains with the Raptor....yeeeehaaaa
blim
On the Road

rear boots

Post by blim »

i've fitted a 190 michelin pilot sport to my v-raptor without a problem. it does slow the handling down a bit. stick to the 180 if poss. as i got a set of boots for £70 fitted i thought it was worth trying it.
Adam
On the Road

Post by Adam »

A bloke from Bridgestone posts on our Buell site regularly and warned that shoving a 180 tyre on a rim designed for a 170 std tyre will give a reduced contact area with the road apart from slowing the turn in. Another chap who races a Buell, with some success in Thunderbikes, goes down to using a 160 on the rear. The Raptor rim will easily take a larger tyre, but question why you want to :?
Always be the person your dog thinks you are.