Top yolks

Technical stuff specific to the Raptor 1000
mr x
On the Road

Top yolks

Post by mr x »

I bought my Raptor second hand so can assume that it may not have been set up to standard factory settings, when I first got it.
Its a naked Raptor 1000 with small fly screen.
I noticed when riding fast in sweeping corners, or pushing it on tighter corners the front end felt skittish, like it was threatening to let go and tended to vibrate the bars.
On examination I noticed that the top yolks had been dropped down the fork legs by about 15mm.
This measurement is taken from the inside of the yolks, ie from how much fork leg is poking through the yolk measured from the edge closest to the steering head.
As an experiment I droped the fork legs through the yolk so that it was flush with the top of the yolk, in effect raising the front end 15mm.
What a difference this made.
The bike now feels much more stable and the steering more responsive.
I dont notice any difference as to the bikes ability to turn in but I feel like I have just fitted power steering.
Another benefit is that the driving position feels more comfortable especialy on longer runs.
Anyone else made changes to their fork legs or yolks and does anyone know what the factory setting is?
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

am pretty sure mine are 15mm , but I did find the flyscreen that was on mine when I bought her affected the front end a bit, theres a thread on forks <here> and possibly many more if you do a search
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
stevepratt48
On the Road

Post by stevepratt48 »

Mine, ex factory just grazes the yoke on the inside, leaving about 5mm at the outside. You should see 'TL Monkey's', jets have to swerve around his legs, I think he must see his taillight, when he turns in.......
Steve Pratt

Are you coming, or just naturally happy?
zorro
On the Road

Post by zorro »

mr x.... just measured mine which are 35mm (forks) above top of top triple tree on the outside,raised forks "from memory" 10mm after raising rear shock 12mm,made my own plates,turns in much quicker than in stock form.
Also had forks re-sprung (Ohlins) and re-valved as stock forks were way too stiff for "normal" ripply and bumpy roads which is maybe what you're describing.

Regrds,zorro 8)
mr x
On the Road

Post by mr x »

Thanks for the thread Snap.
You may have a point there Zorro, some of Scotlands B roads are like washing boards but the A roads can be a bikers dream at times with fast sweeping bends and excelent road surfaces but it would do it there too when pushed.
Steve; your fork legs must be dropped thru more than mine, do you find it handles well? any problems? have you driven it with different settings?
Cavia
On the Road

Post by Cavia »

Hi X

How much static sag do your forks have ?reducing a bit of preload also makes a big difference.
Mine's got hyperpro springs (28 mm static sag /10 w fork oil /145mm air chamber), dropped 5 mm though the yokes and raised the rear about 45 mm measured at the axle
Quick steering and still very stable on bumby roads as well, still no need for that steering damper :)
No bike is ever finished!
stevepratt48
On the Road

Post by stevepratt48 »

mr x wrote:55 years agoThanks for the thread Snap.
You may have a point there Zorro, some of Scotlands B roads are like washing boards but the A roads can be a bikers dream at times with fast sweeping bends and excelent road surfaces but it would do it there too when pushed.
Steve; your fork legs must be dropped thru more than mine, do you find it handles well? any problems? have you driven it with different settings?
Handles nicely, never felt the need for a damper, as some do.......
Steve Pratt

Are you coming, or just naturally happy?