Fitting a Scottoiler

Technical stuff specific to the Raptor 650
bladesuk1
On the Road

Fitting a Scottoiler

Post by bladesuk1 »

this weekend, i fitted a scottoiler to my raptor. lots of fun, particularly given that i don't have the faintest clue about most of the technical stuff at the moment (she's my first bike, and i'm still learning everything).

still, i figured what the hell - can't be too difficult, surely?

so, here's what i did:

1. open the box and find the vacuum damper assembly (part 4) - it's a little 'L' shaped piece of plastic.

2. get the vacuum tubing (the thin black tube - part 3) and insert into the end of the vacuum damper assembly (one end has foam in it, and you want the tube in the other end).

3. identify the throttle body. easiest way is to watch the engine through the frame, and twist the throttle. you'll see bits moving with a metal bar between them. those bits are the throttle bodies.

4. remove one of the rubber spigots from the throttle body (there are two on the rear one - it's easier to get access from the right side of the bike). i used the one at the rear of the bike as it was easier to get to. pull off the nearest one with some pliers.

5. push the other end of the vacuum damper assembly onto the spigot that you've just pulled the cap off. it should now look something like this:

http://www.gecko.org.uk/static/images/b ... lebody.jpg

(sorry it's a bit blurry - camera's autofocus kept getting confused)

6. pick somewhere to mount the reservoir. they recommend trapping it to the frame, but i thought that looked messy and i didn't like it, so i thought about hiding it under the seat behind the fairing, but couldn't get that to sit right either. in the end, i took off the seat and on the right hand side, found a nice little bolthole...

http://www.gecko.org.uk/static/images/b ... rmount.jpg

7. ...to which i attached the rmv bolt-on-clamp set (part 11). tighten up the bolt and it stays in place quite nicely.

8. you can now run the vacuum tubing around to the rmv. i hid it away as much as i could by running it with the other cabling, under the seat, and down through the gap next to the seat mount (where the clear tube is in the above picture). thanks to that, it's hidden away from sight quite nicely. you just cut away the excess tubing and slide the end into the rmv.

9. the clear tube in the above picture is actually the filler plug (part 2) and the breather (part 9). i fed that through the same gap (and later, i fed the tubing for the oil itself through there as well). you may need to disassemble the components slightly to squeeze them through the gaps in the plastic, but they do go through happily. i tucked the air breather in under the seat - no chance of getting water in it that way, and the air is clean too.

10. now comes the harder part - mounting the delivery assembly (part 18). as i was trying to keep it as clean as possible, i cleaned the back of the swingarm up, and using the dispenser mounting sleeves (part 15) and the superglue (part 25), i mounted it on the back of the swingarm like this:

http://www.gecko.org.uk/static/images/b ... ngarm1.jpg

i put a second one slightly further along the swingarm as well to help keep it out of sight.

11. the delivery assembly has some wire in there, so by bending it into shape, the view from the side of the bike now looks like this:

http://www.gecko.org.uk/static/images/b ... rwheel.jpg

12. all that's left to do now is to run the delivery tube end through the bike, hiding it away and cable-tying it out of the way where necessary (not too tight though - it needs to get the oil through, after all), run it back under the seat and through the same hole as before to connect it to the rmv.

13. final step is to fill it up and prime the system as described in the manual (basically, take off the rubber bit to fill it up, then put it back in and disconnect the breather pipe to prime it). let the engine run, and adjust the flow as required.

and that's it - done. it now looks like this from underneath:

http://www.gecko.org.uk/static/images/bike/fit1.jpg

and like this from the side:

http://www.gecko.org.uk/static/images/bike/fit2.jpg

took me a couple of hours, but then i was mostly playing around with different fitting options, playing with routing the pipes, super-gluing my fingers, and stuff like that. if i did it again, i reckon it'd be about a half-hour to an hour, tops.

hope that's of some use to someone else :)

b

[edit] updated the image uri details as i've rejigged my server a little. it's probably also fair to point out that i no longer own this bike after it was written off due to a car driver taking me out :(
Last edited by bladesuk1 on |August 3rd, 2012|, 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shebee
Site Admin
Facebook address thingy: facebook.com/shebee.duff

Post by shebee »

Excellent set of desctructions... Thank you !
bladesuk1
On the Road

Post by bladesuk1 »

no problem... thought it might be of help to someone else, and it's more fun than working ;) besides, the 'official' instructions were a little on the basic side to say the least!

it might well be applicable to the raptor 1000 as well, but not having one of them in front of me to look at, i didn't want to assume that was the case and kept it in the 650-specific stuff. if it turns out to work that way for the 1000, too, feel free to move it if you like.
twistedpr
On the Road

Post by twistedpr »

That is absolutely brilliant mate. Was thinking of doing the same on my 650ie, so you've saved me a good ammount of time messing around with mounting points and tubing routes. I too am new to these things, but am learning fast, so really appreciate the effort.

Must say, your bike looks disgustingly clean!
Four wheels move the body.
Two wheels move the soul.
------ X-Rap 188/999 ------
bladesuk1
On the Road

Post by bladesuk1 »

once you've fitted the rmv and the delivery assembly, the tubing routes are easy enough - i just tried to keep them out of the way as much as i could as i didn't want to impinge on the design too much - she's too pretty for me to ruin it :) if you want some pics of where i routed the tubing, just shout and i'll get some more pictures of it up for you.

i've only just started riding her myself, which is why she's still so clean - only passed my das a couple of weeks ago, and i'm still being very careful beause of the bad weather round here lately. plus i bought it off a guy who'd only put just over 2000km on the clocks - on an 06 plate. in other words, he's broken her in and then sold her. i actually got her in feb of this year, but because i couldn't do a u-turn on test she's been sat in the garage until last month. that's the only reason she's still looking so clean! probably won't last, though...

as to being new, i'm right there with you. there's a lot to take in - i'm still looking into all the details myself, but with the amount of effort everyone puts in on this site i felt it was the least i could do to contribute something useful :)

next step is probably going to be a tre, or kph/mph converteror, or maybe some slightly higher bars or something like that... i don't want to get into anything too complicated early on! but i figure if i take lots of pictures and post them up on here then it might be useful, if only because i might get told where i've buggered up along the way!
taz_116
On the Road

Post by taz_116 »

Anyone know where the vacum thingies are on a V-rap? Can i even fit the scottoiler with Fuel injection? :?:
Burn Rubber, Not Your Soul

2001 V-Raptor 1000, K&N Air Filter & TRE
bladesuk1
On the Road

Post by bladesuk1 »

they're in exactly the same place as on the 650ie.

have a look at the first picture above - they're fairly easy to spot once you've identified the throttle body. it's basically two rubber bungs held on by a small metal ring/clip on the rear cylinder, and one rubber bung and one tube on the front one. i went with the rear one because i found it easier to get to from the side of the bike, and i didn't need to disassemle anything to do it. i just took a pair of pliers and pulled off the nearest one. i believe any of them will do the job, though.

as to the question on fuel injection, that a big 'yes' - my bike's the fuel injected 650ie version (on an 06 plate). the only thing that might be different for yours is the rear seat side of things - i've seen some v-raptors with a rear seat cowl instead of the full pillion seat that's on mine, and i'm not sure if that's standard or not. worst case, you may just need to drill a hole in the plastic to take the bolt and feed the cables through. i didn't drill anything on mine, but more in case i wanted to remove the scottoiler should i ever change the bike in future.
bladesuk1
On the Road

Post by bladesuk1 »

taz, just noticed that you're in brum - whereabouts? i'm working in hall green during the day (just around the corner from the station itself). you're welcome to come and have a look at the install in person if you like - i'm not on my bike today, but i'll be on it tomorrow.

failing that, i live in coventry, just off the a45 - i'd be happy to give you a hand fitting it if that's any good to you?
taz_116
On the Road

Post by taz_116 »

bladesuk1 wrote:55 years agotaz, just noticed that you're in brum - whereabouts? i'm working in hall green during the day (just around the corner from the station itself). you're welcome to come and have a look at the install in person if you like - i'm not on my bike today, but i'll be on it tomorrow.

failing that, i live in coventry, just off the a45 - i'd be happy to give you a hand fitting it if that's any good to you?
Blades,

Thanks for the offer. Still need to purchase one :lol:

It will more than likely be next year, my bike is still running its original chain (its only done 2000 miles) so i will be having that replaced along with the sprockets the begining of next year. I was just trying to confirm fitment cause if i find a cheap one i will snap it up.

Cheers,

Taz

bladesuk1
On the Road

Post by bladesuk1 »

[laughing] fair enough. i picked mine up on ebay, new, for about £60 or so. didn't think that was too pricy.

if you do get one, and you want a hand or just a look at the install, just give me a shout.

hmm. think mine's still on the original chain and sprockets too. is there any particular reason to replace them both so soon?
taz_116
On the Road

Post by taz_116 »

bladesuk1 wrote:55 years ago[laughing] fair enough. i picked mine up on ebay, new, for about £60 or so. didn't think that was too pricy.

if you do get one, and you want a hand or just a look at the install, just give me a shout.

hmm. think mine's still on the original chain and sprockets too. is there any particular reason to replace them both so soon?
Not so sure with the 650's but the 1000 ones have a tendancy to snap apparently :shock: So it will be cahanged next year.

Have a search on here, should pick something about it.

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

bladesuk1 wrote:55 years ago..........................................
The early Raptors had chains made of jelly and liquorice - see pinned post somewhere on general technical "warning...."
But from what we've heard on here from owners of the newer Raptor batch it appears that Cagiva have been sensible and put a better quality item on - hopefully all you owners of the newer raps (possibly post 2003?) won't have the same problem. :D (crossed x digits)
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
bladesuk1
On the Road

Post by bladesuk1 »

oh, right. thanks for the info :) i'll keep a close eye on the chain, then.

mine's an '06, so it should be fine and dandy, but better safe than a chain through my leg... ;)
twistedpr
On the Road

Updated official instructions

Post by twistedpr »

Am now looking into actually fitting one of these kits on Sunday. Checked the Scottoiler website and there are some official Rappy fitting instructions. Not nearly as good as yours blades, but a useful supplement all the same!

However, there's a note at the top that says the Dual Injector is NOT compatible with Raptors. Is this right, or has anyone actually got one fitted?
Four wheels move the body.
Two wheels move the soul.
------ X-Rap 188/999 ------
bladesuk1
On the Road

Post by bladesuk1 »

as far as i know, you can't fit the dual injector to a raptor because of the swingarm (scottoiler state that it's unsuitable, but not why). i haven't looked at it, though, so for all i know they could be lying ;)

having a quick look at the kit, i reckon you could probably knock something up to make it work if you really wanted to. it seems that it uses some sort of bracket to attach to a square swingarm, but the rappy one is curved, so that's probably the issue. if i can find one cheap somewhere i'll have a play, see if i can make it work.