Dead raptor engine (no spark or fuel)

Technical stuff specific to the Raptor 1000
Melman
On the Road

Dead raptor engine (no spark or fuel)

Post by Melman »

My raptor had been running perfectly until a rather rough landing from a wheelie showing off to my girlfriend (ahem!). The engine cut out and refused to restart. Although it will turn over there is no spark or fuel. The fuel pump is not priming but all the relays appear to be working. There are no fault codes showing on the instruments and I'm sure it's not the tilt switch behind the headstock as I have tried activating this and it gives the expected warning on the speedo. There is no alarm fitted. Has anybody got any ideas what to check? I am getting so frustrated I may have to trailer it to a dealers. Was hoping to do a track day Monday but not likely now. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Miz
On the Road

Sidestand switch

Post by Miz »

Hiya,

Check out your sidestand switch, could be stuck, that would stop you from starting..

Miz.
152/999
Melman
On the Road

Post by Melman »

Thanks, but don't think it's the sidestand switch as I have checked that. If it was it should still start but cut out when put into gear. Any other ideas?
Melman
On the Road

Post by Melman »

Problem solved :D I finally traced fault to a broken wire within the fuel pump assembly. If this affects anyone else hopefully this will help them to find the problem more quickly than I did. Incidentally whilst fixing the pump I was surprised by the volume of sludge in the tank. Probably worth keeping an eye on. Running perfectly now. Might be a bit more circumspect showing off from now on. Not very cool having to push your bike home.
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

Melman wrote:55 years agoProblem solved :D ....
Glad you got it solved Melman - :D

Not very cool having to push your bike home.
hmm not much fun either I should think :?
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
Melman
On the Road

Brake caliper seals

Post by Melman »

Not much fun at the time but did manage to get it fixed in time for an end of season track day at Donnington. That was lots more fun. :lol:

On another note I would be grateful if anybody can tell me where I can get a seal kit for the rear caliper from. Don't want to have to buy a whole caliper for the sake of some dust seals