Carburetors

General spannery stuff
raptor001
On the Road

Carburetors

Post by raptor001 »

Hi there,

I recently sent my V Rap 650 for carb cleaning and balancing. The mechanic told me that the carb for the rear cyclinder has seized and is now non adjustable. He said something about the screw head breaking off. The other solution is to drill through the carb but it is a very delicate process and he would rather not do it. The front carb is fine. Its not going give any problems now but as the mileage increases, the rear cylinder is going to run richer and richer, contributing to wear of the engine. So does anybody have a solution? Would I have to replace the carbs? If so, anyone here selling a set of carbs? Or anyone know of any replacement carbs? Will the carbs from a sv650 bolt right on or will I have to make some modifications? Thanks.
wreckah
On the Road

Post by wreckah »

i have a set of carbs lying around from which i took some parts to repair my former rap650...

i don't know what has seized in your carbs though? maybe the mechanism that connects the two carbs?

i'll go and have a look tonight what i took off, and see if you can use it. :)

cheers, jan
raptor001
On the Road

Post by raptor001 »

Hi wreckah,

The mechanic said that the brass screw for the rear carb has seized up. Someone else (prob previous owner) had a go at it and the head of the screw has snapped off, making adjustment impossible. He said its quite common as the rear carb is exposed to all the heat from the rear cylinder. Thanks for your help.
wreckah
On the Road

Post by wreckah »

here are some pics of the rear carb.

can you pinpoint which thing has seized? I could take it off and send it to you then. I could send you the whole carb-setup as well, as i don't have any need for it anymore...shipping will be a bit more costly then though

click for big

raptor001
On the Road

Post by raptor001 »

Hello wreckah,

Thanks for the pictures. The screw that seized is the brass screw adjusting the fuel air mix. You can't see it very well in the pics because its probably recessed. The screw is stuck and non adjustable, so I would basically need the whole carb setup instead of a single bit. Let me know how much you would want and I'll pay for it and the shipping as well. Many thanks for your help.
wreckah
On the Road

Post by wreckah »

okay, i just took a look, and found the fuel/air mixture adjusting screws. Both the front and the rear turn freely. :)

A description of my carbs: TPS is on there, fuel lines, rubber boots, the whole synchro mechanism, etc...the things i took off are the choke mechanism, and the sliders with needles inside. i don't think i touched the float bowls, nor the jets...there is one bolt for the choke mechanism that broke off, but your mechanic will get that out easily, i just don't have the tools for it.

for the whole carb setup, i'd like 40 GBP , shipped to your door. If you want me to add a box full of jets (i think 5 or 6 sets different sizes of main jets from very small to very big and 1 set of pilot jets), needles, springs, you can have the lot for 50 GBP.

cheers 8)
Jan