Venom S/S oval cans - fitment

General spannery stuff
Crap Tartan
On the Road
Location: Sitting in front of the screen in Portpatrick again

Venom S/S oval cans - fitment

Post by Crap Tartan »

Hi Guys,

Just been trying to fit these new cans to my bike and the link pipes seem awful long in that when in position they push the can pretty far back so it clamps near the front of the can and the end of the can sticks out furthest at rear of bike.

Dont seem right to me but anyone else any thoughts on this?

I could take a pic if it helps or does anyone else have pics of these fitted so I can compare?

TIA
nil illigitimae carborundum
Crap Tartan
On the Road

Post by Crap Tartan »

Well seeing as no-one wants to discuss thought I`d take a picture anyway and see if that stirs up some opinion.

Fitted them anyway and went for a run. Much improved sound (dB eaters fitted) but stll unsure as to the look....................

philattersall
On the Road

Post by philattersall »

Crap Tartan wrote:55 years agoWell seeing as no-one wants to discuss thought I`d take a picture anyway and see if that stirs up some opinion.

Fitted them anyway and went for a run. Much improved sound (dB eaters fitted) but stll unsure as to the look....................

I bought some of those cans from a guy on here. Came off his bike no problem. But when it came to mine. I had no joy what so ever fitting them. The right hand link pipe just would not fit correctly. It would fit the pipe, but the link pipe stuck out at a pretty odd position.

Nice looking bike by the way. Very clean
Crap Tartan
On the Road

Post by Crap Tartan »

Hi Phil,

found the same with the RHS pipe but fiddled and twisted and eventually got it to fit properly and it seems OK now. It is slightly shorter than the LHS and slightly lower too.

Reckon their QC is not up to much....................
wreckah
On the Road

Post by wreckah »

here's a piccie to compare with my scorpions...

click for big

i don't think they stick out too much on your bike by the way
wreckah
On the Road

Post by wreckah »

do you have those little tabs on your linkpipes, to be bolted to the frame?

mine do, so they're always in exactly the same position.
Adam
On the Road

Post by Adam »

I like that screen. What's it off?
Always be the person your dog thinks you are.
joe78
On the Road

Post by joe78 »

i bought the same cans from motad through ebay and had the same problem. thought it was just me being a cabbage! i fiddled about with them for ages twisting them, pulling them both back/forwards slightly trying to improve things. i eventually got it looking a bit better but its still not quite right, let me know if you sort it though. are you running a pcII with them? just wondered what map you're using if so.
Crap Tartan
On the Road

Post by Crap Tartan »

Hi Guys,

been away for a few days, but thanks for the pic, Wreckah and I see what you mean, maybe me just being picky/paranoid?!??!

And no I dont have tabs on the linkpipes.

Adam, the screen is the standard legnth one fron Skidmarx.

Joe, yes it did take a lot of faffin` about to get the cans reasonably fitted and whilst they are OK, and look reasonable, me just not totally happy with the look. I may take some time this winter to try to improve things.

FFS the LHS is noticeably shorter than the RHS.

I have a good mind to send pics to Motad and see what their take is.

The only other performance mod I have done so far is a TRE so it should still be on the standard map.

Martin
Brihass
On the Road

Post by Brihass »

I had sort of the same problem with mine, took ages to get the cans to sit somewhere near equal, but not perfect, and at the standard 450mm'ish they were too long as they stuck out from the back of the bike. Thought about fastening a old rag onto the end of them, a la builder..... Luckily Quill are local to me, so had them resleeved in carbon, shortened to 380mm and had them set them up, they had to re-bend one of the link pipes.

You say that the right hand exhaust is longer than the left...have you checked that the link pipes are equal in length when on the bike, measure from where they finish in relation to the footpeg brackets. Check the seating of the cans on the link pipes, measure from the spring brackets to the end of the can. If anything is amiss...back to the manufacturers...you paid good money...let them sort it !!!

I had initial problems setting mine up, the near side link pipe kept sliding along the header when repostioning the can unless I had it that tight it wouldn't move at all, then I couldn't move anything to get the positions equal...round and round....in the end F**K *T... turns out the link pipes had been copied from another set, which obviously where also slightly wrong, probably yours !!!!!!
140/999 Xtra Raptor.....Carbon Quill Cans, Carbon Hugger, Carbon Rear Guard, Carbon Bar End Mirrors, Renthal Bars, Belly Pan, Power Commander, K&N, TRE, Iridium Plugs, Silicon Leads, 2CT's.
Dazza Bing-Bong
On the Road

Post by Dazza Bing-Bong »

Hi,

I also purchased the same cans off flea-bay. When they arrived i couldn't wait to get them fitted. I had a hell of a job and the end result was that the can on the left hand side ended up 1.5" further out the back of the bike than the other :?
I contacted Motad and all they would offer me was to send the pipes back so they could rework them on their jig. They claimed that they did not have any more in stock, end of line and all that ( despite still having the same items posted on E-bay. This I pointed out to them and their reply was that they shouldn't be. I declined their offer. I have since noted that there is now another set posted.

I have loosened, fiddled, cussed, re-aligned retightened and have eventually got them looking some where near right. I must admit that I was a bit bemused with Motads attitude and dishonesty regarding stock.

Having said that I love the pipes now that I've managed to get them somewhere near, they sound great ( I've fitted the decibel eaters as straight through they sounded to raspy).

I've worked out that if you use a tube cutter and trim off 0.5" off the left hand pipe where it slips on the stock down-pipe then they will then be spot on. I plan to do this this winter as i can live with the difference for the time being.

I hope this is of some help to you all. :wink:
Crap Tartan
On the Road

Post by Crap Tartan »

Thanks for the input, guys, I too am reasonably happy with the fitment for the mo` but plan to mess about with them as a winter project to see if things can be improved.

The problem with the differing legnths is due to the link pipes so will get brutal with the tools come winter!

Out of interest, how much did Quill charge to shorten/resleeve etc. ?
Brihass
On the Road

Post by Brihass »

They didn't as such ....... a bit of wheeler dealing ...... you scratch mine etc.... :lol:

Worth a call to Chris or James down there though, as I'm sure they can oblige anyone at a reasonable rate.

regards

Bri.
140/999 Xtra Raptor.....Carbon Quill Cans, Carbon Hugger, Carbon Rear Guard, Carbon Bar End Mirrors, Renthal Bars, Belly Pan, Power Commander, K&N, TRE, Iridium Plugs, Silicon Leads, 2CT's.
Crap Tartan
On the Road

Post by Crap Tartan »

In light of these problems and the fact I actually really like the look of the carbon originals, has anyone pulled them apart to noise them up and do some lightening as well??

Might be an alternative worth considering............
RaptorJo
On the Road

Post by RaptorJo »

Hi guys, Ive got the opportunity of purchasing a set of Motad venom cans plus link pipes. My bike is a 2000 model Raptor 1000. I wonder if your problem is due to the fact these pipes were originally made for the Raptor 1000 and not the V Raptor. Are you aware of any frame difference between the two models that may have caused the problem and do you think I should buy these pipes or give them a miss. I understand it may be a pain in the rear to get them right but to be honest I think the pickies you took look pretty good. :lol: