HACKED OFF NEW OWNER

General spannery stuff
mr.toad

HACKED OFF NEW OWNER

Post by mr.toad »

HELLO PEAPLE I AM NEW HERE AND NEED YOUR HELP I HAVE HAD MY Y REG V-RAP FOR ABOUT 3 WEEKS HAD ALL NORMAL PROBS LIKE THE 3000REV THING ETC BUT STILL LOVE THE BEAST .THIS WEEK IT HAS NO 4TH GEAR IT WILL SELECT BUT HAS NO DRIVE IN THAT GEAR ANY IDEAS IT FEELS TO ME LIKE THE SELECTOR WONT ENGAGE IT HAS DONE 9000 MILES THANK YOU FOR READING
stevepratt48
On the Road

Post by stevepratt48 »

Ouch! what a start.....
If the other gears engage & drive, but 4th won't (Either way, up or down?) sounds like a strip down jobbie, sheared dog or stripped teeth sounds likely. Any graunching noises?
Can't say I've ever heard of G/Box being an issue, guess everything has to happen 1st to someone.
Do you have a manual? I've got 1 or 2 copies left, (CD)
:cry:
Steve Pratt

Are you coming, or just naturally happy?
Coose
On the Road

Post by Coose »

Your best bet is to ask on www.tlzone.net with it being a TL motor.

Not much direct help, I know, but someone on there may be able to point you in the right direction.... :)

(assuming it's a 1000!)
shebee
Site Admin
Facebook address thingy: facebook.com/shebee.duff

Post by shebee »

OUch... oh and welcome...

Not something I have heard of before, as Coose says the TL site might be able to help,

Hope its not anything too expensive :?
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

ouch

seems to me Steve has it right :idea:
I can't think of anything else that would cause that, what a shame your start to Raptor ownership has been a bit rough, but am sure it's sortable - did you buy the bike from a dealer or privately?

ps
no need to SHOUT mr.toad - we're not deaf y'know :lol:
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
TLMONKEY
On the Road

Post by TLMONKEY »

Without been able to see the bike and test it and going off what you are saying i gotta agree,sound's like it's the same old 4th gear problem that tl1000 engine's get.
Mostly it is caused by heavy gearchange's/wheelies mate.
Know doubt not by you,guess last owner had fun on bike now at your expense.
Now the really bad new's is,
if we are right and it is your gearbox, you are looking at around £100-£150 for another used gearbox and then the strip+rebuild cost's(unless you can do it yourself?)
If its just the selector,then will be slightly cheaper than buying a complete gearbox,but you still got the strip/rebiuld cost's
:cry:

The only easier,but not much cheaper option is to buy another engine,but you still don't know the history of the bought engine.
If you can strip and rebiuld it yourself,then atleast when fixed you know it's right
Coose
On the Road

Post by Coose »

If it is 4th gear that's shot, the gears new from Suzuki are apparently only about £60 a piece and you should only need a couple (plus gaskets of course).

2nd hand TLS boxes are becoming a bit scare....