Bad running again!

General spannery stuff
raptor001
On the Road

Bad running again!

Post by raptor001 »

My 650 V raptor is running very badly again! It seems that every time I come to a stop, be it at a traffic light junction or a round about, it wants to die on me. The revs just drops really low and it just cuts out. The only way out of it is for me to keep the revs above 4000rpm as I come to a stop. It starts up fine again and then it runs fine as I pull away, but as I come to the next stop or round about, the same thing happens! I don't think its the clutch switch as I've tried disconnecting it after starting up and it still happens. I doubt its water getting into the front cyclinder as I've actually made a flap to cover the front spark plug and it wasn't raining today. A friend of mine tells me it sounds like fuel isn't getting to the engine once I start moving, perhaps its a blocked fuel line? Any ideas please? I'm getting really fustrated.
Miz
On the Road

Bad Running

Post by Miz »

Hi,

1. Check out the breather on your fuel tank, make sure it is not blocked, (so long as you only have half a tank of fuel try a short run with the cap open, and see if that cures the problem, if it does the tank breather is blocked).

2. check that the fuel tap is opening properly when a vacuum is applied to it.

Miz.
152/999
pod
On the Road

carb icing

Post by pod »

Could be carb icing, or water in the fuel , probably carb icing f its only just started since the colder weather, Wynns make an additive that helps prevent this.
Cheers
pod
Stay calm.
wreckah
On the Road

Post by wreckah »

yup, probably carb icing...

nothing to do about it (carb hetaers don't work), only fuel additives work.
raptor001
On the Road

Post by raptor001 »

Well, I've been riding the vrap to work for the past two days and it has been very smooth, even in the rain! I very suprised by this 'jerkyll and hyde' character. You guys are probably right about the carb icing. I guess it only happens in certain environmental conditions. I've just bought some Pro FST to put into the fuel tank.
pod
On the Road

same here

Post by pod »

My 650 does the same, especially when slowing down from the cruise into work, the additive does fix it as long as you remember to put it in!
its well known with the Sv650 carbed motor.
Cheers
Stay calm.