Bit of a head shake

Technical stuff specific to the Raptor 1000
RaptorJo
On the Road

Bit of a head shake

Post by RaptorJo »

ok, don't know if this is anything to worry about or not, will try and explain but am usually crap a being descriptive. here goes,
If I go over 95mph the handle bars get a slight wobble on, this also seems to apply when braking and it feels as though something solid is hitting against something - its not enough to stop me doing this speed or riding but enough to think it was worth a mention. After all that waffle, any ideas appreciated (in simple terms please). many thanks
taz_116
On the Road

Post by taz_116 »

Could be something as simple as an unbalanced wheel to something more like Headbearings shot.

I truth i have no idea someone should be along soon who will know, but i think i'd start with the simple stuff and work from there.

I know a few people on here have changed thier head bearings recently.

Taz
Burn Rubber, Not Your Soul

2001 V-Raptor 1000, K&N Air Filter & TRE
Cavia
On the Road

Post by Cavia »

Hi

Guess It's the headbearings , better check for play!
No bike is ever finished!
RaptorJo
On the Road

Post by RaptorJo »

thanks for advice, could you tell what i need to do to check head bearings, i am only just learning things so am complete novice :oops: thanks - is it a garage job?
wreckah
On the Road

Post by wreckah »

if you can suspend the front end, so that you can turn the bars from lock to lock without any resistance, than you will feel if your bearings are shot. The slightest hickup while turning is a sign that they are broken.
RaptorJo
On the Road

Post by RaptorJo »

ok, my panic over, if i had a brain i would be so dangerous!! Looked and thought about this some more and i reckon its the hepco and becker rack i've put on, plus the fact my suspension is a bit slack. Bearings are ok, tyres are new and pressure checked, brake pads new, fork seals etc are good.
Next question - whats a pin wrench look like for suspension adjustment i think mine is missing?
shebee
Site Admin
Facebook address thingy: facebook.com/shebee.duff

Post by shebee »

RaptorJo
On the Road

Post by RaptorJo »

ffs mines missing. thank you
carnivore
On the Road

Post by carnivore »

Don't panic, if it's for the head stock that loose an allen key on a torque wrench will tighten the head stock (hexagonal hole in the top yoke centre). Just do it with the front end off the ground. :)
where's the bar?
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

JO51 wrote:55 years agoffs mines missing. thank you
I don't think there was one in the original toolkit, I know mine was complete when I bought her - there is a C spanner in there for the rear shock though.

OO before I forget - 90 ish - straight road? motorway? I recall mine doing that with a light tank (on flashing amber) and weight on the back, it was just a weight/balance thing - filled the tank and she was fine :D
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
RaptorJo
On the Road

Post by RaptorJo »

My mate is picking up her new BMW tomorrow so gonna have a practise as to whats setting it off (weight wise etc) on m/way, got to do 600 mile so she can get its first service done next week, before we go upto scotland. So hopefully i'll get it pinpointed. cheers
RaptorJo
On the Road

Re: Bit of a head shake

Post by RaptorJo »

Just giving this topic a bump as I would like info on either greasing or replacing head bearings. Mine has been a bit strange going into corners and slow speed as if it doesn't want to do what I'm asking, (its not possible for me to suspend the front end) any advice appreciated. Thank you :D
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

It definitely sounds like head race bearings this time Jo51.

I would get them replaced if funds permit, better than greasing um up and then finding you need new ones in a couple of months time.
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
Bfef
On the Road

Post by Bfef »

Just taken my front end off last weekend including head bearings. Taper roller jobs top and bottom so you can remove them without ball bearings falling out everywhere!

After removing front wheel, mudguard, front brakes, forks, headlight, instruments and handlebars you can get to the bearings. [Mine's a V-raptor so it doesn't have the extra fairing].

I think you might be able to get to them by just removing the handlebars and placing them over onto the tank but you'd still need to elevate the front end. I used a trolley jack under the engine to balance the bike on the jack / sidestand / rear wheel [don't have a paddock stand].

Undo the large allen bolt in the centre of the top yoke and lift off the yoke. There is a C-ring job underneath which can be undone carefully with a screwdriver and hammer if you don't have the spanner. Once that comes off the bottom yoke drops out. There's also a top cover that just sits underneath the C-ring.

The bottom bearings are fixed to the yoke / tube so you can just inspect and clean them up, the top ones are loose so you can lift them out to clean up. The top and bottom races are easy to get to and clean. Grease it all up and reverse procedure to put back on.

The C-ring doesn't need to be very tight before you feel stickyness in the turning . So just do up hand tight then give it a small turn. When you put the top yoke back on [line it all up by putting the forks in] the allen bolt needs a hefty tightening.

That's about it! I haven't been out yet to test as clutch cable adjuster broke but it feels OK in the garage. Sounds a bit clunky but I can't feel any movement so I think [hope!] it's the brake pads moving about a bit.
RaptorJo
On the Road

Post by RaptorJo »

Thanks for info will get hubby on to it :D Any recommendations as to where to buy them?