Rear Brake Calliper

Technical stuff specific to the Raptor 1000
RaptorJo
On the Road

Rear Brake Calliper

Post by RaptorJo »

Hope you can help me - as you always do :D
Firsty I am still learning at this DIY for motorbikes. I have changed the front brake pads myself and am looking a doing the rear, but it seems a little different ie there is no retaining pin that goes in the bar that holds the pads, there is just a funny looking washer that looks very thin, could somone just explain and reasure me how to do it. Many thanks
zorro
On the Road

Post by zorro »

JO51, not sure about the washer you're describing. Should be a pin running through the caliper from outside to inside with a circlip (perhaps the funny looking washer referred too) to retain the pin in position.

The pin holds the pads and the spring in position, bolt torque =26 N-m.

Regards, zorro 8)
RaptorJo
On the Road

Post by RaptorJo »

Thanks Zorro, yes it was the circlip I was on about :lol: , is it just a case of prising it off, or is there a knack to it, its just looks so very flimsy and I don't want to feck it up, many thanks
holedigger
On the Road

Post by holedigger »

hi jo51

use a long nose pliers to gently pull it off but keep a good grip on it or it will disapear into orbit like mine did :oops: .fekinsmallbastidthing
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

might be useful to add circlip pliers to your toolbox? :)
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
holedigger
On the Road

Post by holedigger »

cant say about anybody elses caliper but mine has a flat washer type clip to hold the pin in the caliper not a circlip which is why i used a long nosed pliers not circlip pliers :roll:
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

ahhhh probly best then holedigger ;) I haven't looked :oops:
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
zorro
On the Road

Post by zorro »

Hmmm.... that's weird, I definately have a circlip on my caliper pin, looked up the manual and it states a "seeger" ring. I know the type, three contact points and similar spring steel as a circlip.

Thinking back a long time ago at the first service I mentioned to the mechanic two things, only because he asked me if everything was working and feeling okay. I did say the throttle felt a bit snatchy and the rear brake a bit spongy or wooden, I'm guessing he pulled the pads to check the pistons or something, lost the "seeger" clip (easily done) and replaced with a circlip.

Regards, zorro.
RaptorJo
On the Road

Post by RaptorJo »

thanks for all the info, been a bit of coward up to now and keep looking at it :lol: , just worried it might brake, i am right, that you just pull it off and put it back, theres no special way to do it? sorry just still learning stuff.