Foul Plug

Technical stuff specific to the Raptor 1000
Evil Twin
On the Road

Foul Plug

Post by Evil Twin »

I've been doing a lot more cummuting than pleasure riding lately and started to have issues with fouling the plug. Currently running a NGK CR9EK. So far the fix has been just to 'get up it' more :twisted: and avoid anyhting below 3000RPM. This has become harder with increased traffic and wet road this week. Also I'm sure the neighbours won't have appreciated me clearing the plug this morning.
Question is if i go to a colder plug am i any chance of pinging? What are other people running?
Thanks in advance.
The bike made me do it!
Demansia
On the Road

Post by Demansia »

Hi Evil,

I had a fouled plug not long after i got mine, a mate with a TLR put it down to me touching the throttle on start-up. I now use NGK Iridiums, dont touch the throttle & have had 8,000km trouble free.

A colder plug could cause a bit of detination, especially if your running low octane fuel.

Chad
Nothin like V-Twin Grin!!
Miz
On the Road

Post by Miz »

Hiya,

According to the manual, the plugs are supposed to be NGK CR8EK

If you are only travelling short distances on your commute I would suggest you try the thermostat change so you get to over 50degrees quicker.

Miz.
152/999
Evil Twin
On the Road

Re: Foul Plug

Post by Evil Twin »

Fouling again
Replaced the plugs with CR8EK last year and seemed to have fixed the problem but now...
Doing more commuting again and after recent speed fine I've been letting her run below 3000rpm.
Fouled this morning and I was unable to clear the plug with the motor running, usually hold it at ~5000rpm, so I wipped it out :oops: (the rear plug) gave it a clean with the wire brush and voila! Happy bike
BTW it looked like a spanker
But why is it always the rear plug?
Dodgy lead?
Stuffed injector?
Bike is not suited to being ridden like wuss?

Maybe time for a Suzuki dealer service and tune :shock:
The bike made me do it!
snapdragon

Re: Foul Plug

Post by snapdragon »

Evil Twin wrote:..
Bike is not suited to being ridden like wuss?
That'll be it :wink:
Maybe time for a Suzuki dealer service and tune :shock:
I keep promising myself this too

I know it's not fuel efficient, but keeping the revs over 3 thou seems to work so far
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>