A couple of new mods.........

Technical stuff specific to the Raptor 1000
fatfingers73
On the Road

A couple of new mods.........

Post by fatfingers73 »

Fitted some new venom cans today, airbox mod with BMC airfilter and tail tidy.

Airbox mod sounds mean :twisted: :twisted:

fatfingers73
On the Road

Re: A couple of new mods.........

Post by fatfingers73 »

Now I've done these mods (along with TRE), I would like to set it up with a power commander. Is the one from the TL1000S the only one that will fit straight on?

I would also like to do the pair valve removal, does anyone sell kits for this?

Thanks chaps.
ozzraptor
On the Road

Post by ozzraptor »

Warning - Old thread revival , just interested to know what performance gain there is by cutting the lid ,i can see that it would not be a good idea on a tl as the ram air effect would be affected severely but on a cagiva the open top seems like it may be a good idea ? Also the flapper would not need to be removed ?
Spyke
On the Road

Post by Spyke »

Can't answer your questions, but I've been thinking a bit more about ram air since seeing these shots on the Racing Raptors page http://www.racingraptors.com/gallery.html, and if it were me I'd be trying to add ram air before trying to "improve" the airbox, it looks like the racers have more tech savvy than me. I've always thought the horns are reminiscent of the old kwak ram air intakes, would be a very interesting project to make them so!
nosecone.jpg
nosecone.jpg (76.1 KiB) Viewed 5916 times
riderview.jpg
riderview.jpg (81.71 KiB) Viewed 5916 times
injectors.jpg
injectors.jpg (65.71 KiB) Viewed 5916 times
Road racing's where it's at - going round in circles all day is for hamsters.
ozzraptor
On the Road

Post by ozzraptor »

Looks like in the second pic they are running the air tubes to the top section of the airbox or through the top part of the filter /lid rather than from the inlets at side which are probabally blocked off, i may be wrong. Ram air is worth hp on these engines, i need a donor bike :D The cagiva airbox is similar to the tl so it should respond just the same to ram air, a common mod on the tl, remove flapper assembly and widen the bottom part of the tower if you want to get serious but first youve got to get forced air to the airbox on the raptor
ozzraptor
On the Road

Post by ozzraptor »

I have a donor cagiva 1000 airbox on the way that i am going to reshape like the tl box in the pic
Spyke
On the Road

Post by Spyke »

ozzraptor wrote:55 years ago...but first youve got to get forced air to the airbox on the raptor
Yup, that's what I was thinking, the RR guys seem to use the indicator pods but I'm wondering if there may be some potential to squeeze something in around where the Under Nose piece doesn't quite snug up to the headlight, the Under Nose piece could potentially be ditched or modified, it's hardly a fundamental necessity:
Mucky.jpg
Mucky.jpg (61.61 KiB) Viewed 5908 times
ozzraptor wrote:55 years agoI have a donor cagiva 1000 airbox on the way that i am going to reshape like the tl box in the pic
Awesome, can't wait to hear how that goes! :revrev:
ozzraptor
On the Road

Post by ozzraptor »

Spyke wrote:55 years ago
ozzraptor wrote:55 years ago...but first youve got to get forced air to the airbox on the raptor
Yup, that's what I was thinking, the RR guys seem to use the indicator pods but I'm wondering if there may be some potential to squeeze something in around where the Under Nose piece doesn't quite snug up to the headlight, the Under Nose piece could potentially be ditched or modified, it's hardly a fundamental necessity:
Mucky.jpg
ozzraptor wrote:55 years agoI have a donor cagiva 1000 airbox on the way that i am going to reshape like the tl box in the pic
Awesome, can't wait to hear how that goes! :revrev:
Spyke, what i would like to know is how much gap there is above the top of the air filter and fuel tank ? The sv1000 doesn't have ram air either so uses a different style of airbox to the cagiva and tl1000. Air is channeled up underneath the tank and through a rubber snorkel (see pic) at the top front of the airbox , sv also uses stv at the top of the throttle bodies instead of a flapper valve at the base of the tunnel part like on tl and cagiva. Many either ripped the snorkel out, or modified it as i did and drilled the stv for better air flow,also lifting the tank by 10mm to allow more cool air in there. Combined with a full 50mm exhaust and tune really brought my sv to life,thats what i am trying to achieve with the cagiva. I think i can achieve good results on this bike with a full exhaust , and airbox mods perhaps similar to sv and if not ram air like some have done with the cagiva and tune. The key to unleashing this bike is in the exhaust and airbox :happyhappy:
Spyke
On the Road

Post by Spyke »

ozzraptor wrote:55 years agoSpyke, what i would like to know is how much gap there is above the top of the air filter and fuel tank
Good question, you *might* be able to apply large quantities of plasticine between the two and squish it down to find out? Possibly easier with tank and airbox off the bike and upside down.
ozzraptor wrote:55 years agoThe key to unleashing this bike is in the exhaust and airbox :happyhappy:
I've only ridden with an SV1000 once and TBH the rap blew it away like it was only a 600, so my feeling is that there's possibly a lot more to unleash on an SV than on a rap, I'd be happy to be proved wrong though!
ozzraptor
On the Road

Post by ozzraptor »

Spyke wrote:55 years ago
ozzraptor wrote:55 years agoSpyke, what i would like to know is how much gap there is above the top of the air filter and fuel tank
Good question, you *might* be able to apply large quantities of plasticine between the two and squish it down to find out? Possibly easier with tank and airbox off the bike and upside down.
ozzraptor wrote:55 years agoThe key to unleashing this bike is in the exhaust and airbox :happyhappy:
I've only ridden with an SV1000 once and TBH the rap blew it away like it was only a 600, so my feeling is that there's possibly a lot more to unleash on an SV than on a rap, I'd be happy to be proved wrong though!
Must try that with the plasticine. Standard sv1k feel pretty lame in comparison to a well modded sv1000. All i can say using the butt dyno that its a similar comparison with tl1000 and cagiva as to a modded sv done properly and a stock sv1000. Thats what i like about this bike , theres plenty to work with.
Spyke
On the Road

Post by Spyke »

Ah, that's certainly a tidy SV you had there, I like your butt dyno analogy :happyhappy:
Haven't been out with a TL so I've no comparison, looking forward to learning from your experiences! :geek:
ozzraptor
On the Road

Post by ozzraptor »

Well, not too far away and i will start pulling off the stock headers and see what need to be done with the full yosh header to get it to fit. If all goes well there i want to do i high level system with the exhaust exit under the rear cowl . Just ideas at the moment, wont really know until i get the yosh moving. My mig/tig welder is on the way so i want to do it all myself, i am sick of paying through the nose for crappy weld jobs that look like bird droppings :mrgreen: Yosh headers on left ,the cagiva header on the right is quite restricted as you can see the welds take up a lot of space , typical italian welding! The yosh sytem is also 50mm as compared with the oem cagiva 43mm
Mighty Mariner
On the Road

Post by Mighty Mariner »

I have an air box on ebay if you want it
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing
ozzraptor
On the Road

Post by ozzraptor »

Mighty Mariner wrote:55 years agoI have an air box on ebay if you want it
pm sent mate