My Baby went bang.. :(

Technical stuff specific to the Raptor 650
pod
On the Road

Re: My Baby went bang.. :(

Post by pod »

Reading back through the thread i get confused,
It didn't happen on startup, it made a similar noise on start-up.

It happened on the downgear from bout ahem MPH on a steep down hill. went 5th, 4th, 3rd - dead.
That was probably the moment when some stray teeth said hullo to the fast spinning parts and took out the ignition sensor.

Drain the oil into a large white pan and see what comes out, a small magnet will help find loose gear teeth.
Pour out the oil and look at whats left in the pan, if there is a lot of silvery white non magnetic metal filings then the motor is toast and you should look for a replacement.
If the oil comes out relatively clean and you get all the missing teeth then you need a new starter ring and possibly the intermediate gear and starter .

If this didnt happen at start up its possible to do this kind of damage by operating the starter button when the motor is already running.
i dont know if later FI motor starter bits are the same, there are people on SV650.org who have dead motors lying around they would be a good bet for the spare parts you may need.
Also whats the tool called for removing the spring mounted bolt on the clutch side of the engine called?
Not sure what you mean here, the clutch is on the RHS, the actuator is on the LHS , the bit the cable goesintae.
Cheers
Pod
Stay calm.
Frankiesan
On the Road

Post by Frankiesan »

Thanks again pod,

Gonna sieve the oil tonight, also picing up some parafin to flush the engine out, good news is there doesn't appear to be any filings in the oil already.

Tool I was refering to was to remove the spring loaded thing on the RHS. Just incase I need to have a looksee in there to track down stray teeth.

Question do the Allen Key bolts need removing before this comes off?
Last edited by Frankiesan on |December 18th, 2009|, 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Frankiesan
On the Road

Post by Frankiesan »

Hey folks,

So I removed the allen key nuts which seemed to release the starter cog but it doesn't help with how to get the magnet ring off.

I took some more pics to help, the upper view shows the bolts I removed and the Large gun metal central bit that I can't figure out what to do with.

The lower is showing the holes in the engine where the missing teeth have gone.
Attachments
Engine RHS lower of engine.jpg
Engine RHS lower of engine.jpg (172.12 KiB) Viewed 2335 times
Engine RHS upper view.jpg
Engine RHS upper view.jpg (201.49 KiB) Viewed 2335 times
pod
On the Road

Post by pod »

The magnet ring "rotor" is removed by screwing in an extractor tool in the centre, there is no other way apart from butchery.
http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php? ... or+removal

the tool you need
http://www.bikebandit.com/motion-pro-fl ... -x-1-5-r-h
tells you all about it.
Cheers
Pod
Stay calm.