belly pan on fire!!!!

Chat about anything
spooky
On the Road

belly pan on fire!!!!

Post by spooky »

Well, just got back from a bit of a ride, good to blow the cobwebs off. Thought I should wash the salt of the raptor. Hmmm, Now I once watched top gear when Clarkson tested a viper only to find that the exhaust had set fire to the carbon bodywork. Well that just shows it is a real super car, bent on self-destruction, he said, or words to that effect. I smiled and agreed.
So first ride since I bought my v raptor – been snowed in since the day after I bought it, I mean proper snowed in.
The bike has a carbon belly pan, painted red, and guess what, the exhaust has just about burnt a hole through it, only the browning, bubbling paint stopping daylight from showing through. Ah, but through what yonder doth daylight shine…that’d be through the hole that has worn through the bottom rear of the belly pan. About the size of a two pence piece. Guess I went over some speed humps too fast, or not fast enough, or maybe one has to go over them on one wheel?
Remembering smiling at Clarkson’s flaming viper, I decided not to be a hypocrite and just smiled and wandered what would catch fire or fall of on my next ride.
Funny how the previous owner never got the bike hot enough to set it on fire.
Jethro
On the Road

Re: belly pan on fire!!!!

Post by Jethro »

You were driving too slow! The exhaust should have been cooled down by the wind.. :lol:

Pics?
'96 Yamaha FZR 600R[/sold]
'01 Cagiva V-Raptor 1000[/sold]
'03 Aprilia ETV1000 Caponord [/sold]
'07 Cagiva V-Raptor 1000 [CURRENT]
'?? Cagiva X-tra Raptor [maybe in the future]
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

Oops! :shock:

Never had one on mine, I like the naked look :oops: do they fit a bit too close?
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
spooky
On the Road

Post by spooky »

The burn is only the size of a pea. Yes, one of the pipes does pass very close. I think I will get some aluminium heat shielding foil, I used some when I installed my cooker. Take off the pan and line it.
As for the hole underneath... :idea: ...I guess it will help water drain out
weirdo
On the Road

Post by weirdo »

I remember fitting the bellypan to mine and smelling melting plastic within 2 minutes of firing her up. Couldn't do much about it there and then as i was on my way to work. When i parked up (7 miles later) the smell was pretty horrendous and the bolt on triangular front piece of the pan was a bubbly squishy mush :lol: . Luckily there was no other damage so i made another plate from alloy that night and taped all the inside of the pan with heat resistant tape. :oops:
To a Raptor....EVERYTHING else is just prey !!

WOOHOO!...TWINS!
spooky
On the Road

Post by spooky »

You've got to smile, havn't you. :wink:
AZ
On the Road

Post by AZ »

My bruv fitted a belly pan to mine before i bought it (it came of an xtra raptor) and i found that bubbling away as it had shifted on the mounts at speed,well you have to find out what every new toy is capable of don`t you :twisted: .Now fitted my own concoction made from a cut down cbr 250 fairing,fits better than the factory one and as yet i haven`t found it bubbling on the zorst pipe.
NOTE; bikes do not have air brakes,lofting the front wheel will have an effect on a bikes braking efficiency.
dont arf get the adrenalin pumpin tho!!!