R&G PROTECTORS - Something missing here?

Technical stuff specific to the Raptor 650
trix
On the Road

Re: R&G PROTECTORS - Something missing here?

Post by trix »

pod wrote:55 years agoMy 650 came with these RnGS fitted badly, both mushrooms had too short a stub to reach the bottom of the mounting point.
I used M12 washers to pack out the hole.
Also the LHS bolt was too long and had nipped the crancase breather hose , I had to shorten the bolt, and replace the hose.
Cheers
pod

Oh my

unbelievable!

Its not right that the customer has to actually make these protectors themselves
They are not cheap

And the seller stil wont answer my mails.

jiiiziz

But thanks a lot for helping out
trix
On the Road

Post by trix »

NZraptorgirl wrote:55 years agoNot familiar with that brand, but they look ok to me. They are called "Mushrooms" for a reason. The little stem bolts against the frame so it sticks out like a "Mushroom". Personally, I would change the bolts to caphead bolts as they can be easier to deal with down the bottom of a dark hole.

Cheers

This is what the seller sais about the product:

These crash protectors are to fit CAGIVA RAPTOR 650 and are engine mount and no modifications CP0068BL

These are not "mushrooms" and, unlike most competitors, we use de-embrittled high-tensile steel bolts, designed not to snap off on impact. In addition, we insert compression sleeves inside the bobbins, which are designed to scrub speed from crashes quickly and minimize damage to frames and fairings in most crash scenarios.

What a hoax :p
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

:( a shame
In case it's of any use here are fitting instructions from R&G site

They do work, I've tested them :oops: (on the 1000 and not on purpose) but it's annoying that they haven't made the correct adjustment for the Raptor while describing them as suitable
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
Treffynnon
On the Road

Post by Treffynnon »

I was pretty disappointed with them as well, but I bought mine as "new old stock" so persevered. I haven't heard of other people having a problem with fitting the R&Gs to other models of bike. Just seems to be the Raptor. I will probably be trying a different brand next time though. LSL look pretty good.
NZraptorgirl
On the Road

Post by NZraptorgirl »

Mine for my ZRX came with caphead bolts so you must be able to buy suitable ones for this purpose. Capheads are much easier to install and remove once they get down the inside of the protectors.

Just my opinion, but if you burr the head of the bolt at anytime, removal will be interesting at best.

Cheers
Magnum
On the Road

Post by Magnum »

Hej Trix!

Jag hade samma bekymmer som du. Men det är bara att slipa ned delen som går in i ramen, visst den borde passa direkt, men det är nog enklare att slipa lite än att jaga tillverkaren. Mina sitter perfekt och har redan gjort nytta...

I wrote in another thread about it In General Technical I think it was. But what I did in the end was that I shaved it alittle then took some longer bolts and forced it in. Then once it was fitted I replaced the bolt. Now I regret that i did´nt trim it (shaved it) a bit more.

Good Luck!

/M
Last edited by Magnum on |June 8th, 2010|, 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cruisers are best enjoyed on the water!
weirdo
On the Road

Post by weirdo »

Magnum wrote:55 years agoHej Trix!

Jag hade samma bekymmer som du. Men det är bara att slipa ned delen som går in i ramen, visst den borde passa direkt, men det är nog enklare att slipa lite än att jaga tillverkaren. Mina sitter perfekt och har redan gjort nytta...

/M

I'll second that! :lol:
To a Raptor....EVERYTHING else is just prey !!

WOOHOO!...TWINS!
Magnum
On the Road

Post by Magnum »

weirdo wrote:55 years ago

/M

I'll second that! :lol:
Pardon my French :oops: :oops: , but I could not contain myself when I met another Viking around these parts :wink:

/M
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

Magnum wrote:55 years ago...Pardon my French :oops: :oops: , but I could not contain myself when I met another Viking around these parts :wink:

/M
pardoned :wink: so long as it's nothing abusive

French??? :lol: :lol: :lol:
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
Treffynnon
On the Road

Post by Treffynnon »

snapdragon wrote:55 years ago
Magnum wrote:55 years ago...Pardon my French :oops: :oops: , but I could not contain myself when I met another Viking around these parts :wink:

/M

Translated by Google
Magnum
On the Road

Post by Magnum »

Treffynnon wrote:55 years ago
snapdragon wrote:55 years ago

/M

Translated by Google
Got to love google :wink: The translation is as accurate as my english :lol: :lol:
Can´t keep any secrets from you guy´s, that´s for sure :o :o
/m
trix
On the Road

Post by trix »

I wrote in another thread about it In General Technical I think it was. But what I did in the end was that I shaved it alittle then took some longer bolts and forced it in. Then once it was fitted I replaced the bolt. Now I regret that i did´nt trim it (shaved it) a bit more.

Good Luck!

/M

Den ene pluggen er nå slipt og satt på, og den andre har jeg bestilt en M12x120 bolt - 1.25 spor, for feste.
F*** R&G

Men godt å høre at de gjör nytte

Tusen tax

Njut sommaren :)
trix
On the Road

Post by trix »

For what its worth ..

I have sendt R&G a mail pointing out the problem several bikers here have had with the bobbins and they replied:

"When our crash protectors are made, we work on the basis of getting a bike into protyping and making a bespoke kit to fit. After the first sample has been manufactured, this is then rechecked again to the bike. Unfortunatley sometimes, manufacturers will make subtle changes to there specs and we can get into problems where during the life of a machine our bobbins will cease to fit.

Until people tell us directly we may have no idea. When this happens we will make a commericial decision to see if amending the kit is viable. With the Raptor's getting a bike to test is always going to be a problem due to its exclusive nature and the relatively low numbers available in the UK. Many owners will also be resourceful and make there own adjustments or we can do it for them in our workshop"
dizzyblonde
On the Road

Post by dizzyblonde »

I wish someone had fashioned a crash bung other than R&G for the Raptor. Although when Carnivore fitted his there was no problem with squishing the rad hose on the water pump side, mine on the other hand when I bought it, probably contributed to the rad going pop :evil: The hose was so squashed I'm surprised the system didn't overheat from lack of flow! As we discovered a few weeks ago, the back of the main bung(spacers bit) on Carnivores are one complete diameter, whereas mine are stepped. So rather than getting a nice man with a laithe to trim it down, I got out a wood rasp, then my dremel and shaved the damn thing down where it was obstructing. Man did I get covered in black nylon blobs :lol:
Its not perfect, but at least I can see daylight between the two, need a new rad hose as the bungs been sat on it for god knows how long and has left a permanent dent in it :roll: .
Personally I think they are naff on the VRaptor as they only just cover the indicators on one side and only just cover the rad on the other. If only they did something like Motosliders for them like my SVs, only made for that bike.
Yellow 2001 SV650s,2002 VRaptor
Your Rapter looks like a sci fi robot dragon! and it breaths fire too! It singed my eye brows and boiled my eyes at the lights! smudge
trix
On the Road

Post by trix »

i recommend bikers who have had problems with the kit to fit to send R&G a mail :

Send it to Alan J Garrett, ajkawasaki@btinternet.com

I alos think that these protectors doesnt justifie the bike with the exreme ugly and HUGE design, and most important does NOT protect
the bike parts good enough.

(Compare to the R&G s very nice design on the Ducati model)
http://www.rg-racing.com/browseBike/Duc ... 224BL.aspx

Probably the R&G dont give a shit about whether the cagiva protectors fit or not. Bikers buy and doesnt complain.
Maybe that will change now :evil:

So common people, make a change