Wot's yer tyres ?

Chat about anything
weirdo
On the Road

Wot's yer tyres ?

Post by weirdo »

What tyres doth adorn thy raptae ??

Who has what tyres? What type of riding do you subject them to? How grippy? Any good in the wet? How long have they lasted? How much?

Also, are there any that you would really condemn to the nearest skip?

Let's have a good old forum debate :)

Yep... you guessed it... I'm due for some tyres soon and i haven't a clue what to go for :oops: :lol:

I have Metzeler Rennsport on at the mo. They were great in the dry for fast road/ track day, but well scary in the wet.
I think i just might need to replace them since they've been on the bike 5 years :shock:
To a Raptor....EVERYTHING else is just prey !!

WOOHOO!...TWINS!
Coose
On the Road

Re: Wot's yer tyres ?

Post by Coose »

Supercorsa Pro SC1 front, Avon Storm rear. The rear has done 1000 miles and I doubt I'll get another 1000 out of it. I had the same problem with the previous three BT021s.... I fear that my continuous backlane scratching may not help! :wink:

I've never had any problems with the front in the wet....
dizzyblonde
On the Road

Post by dizzyblonde »

Got the Raptor with Avon Viper Sports with unknown mileage on them. My other half knackered the centre of the rear in 200 miles :shock:

I'll be putting Avon Storm Ultras on it when I've had the sproglet. I have always had Avons on both my SV's , first the Azaros, then the Storms that came after. I've had wonderful performance out of them, I use them in all weathers in all sorts of ways. Superb in the wet, warm up quick, especially when its half four on a frosty morning. You can get cranked right over as they stick a bit too well for a sports touring tyre, inspire a hell of a lot of confidence and you get good feedback off the road.
I encouraged Carnivore to put one on his VRap last year, and hes quite pleased with it, compared with the Maxxis that came with it, so has said I'd find the Storms just as great on mine as I have on my SVs.
The Storm Ultras are the new ones this year and loads of members on my SV forum from KTM superduke owners to VFR750 and SVs are raving about them, usually the guys on there I ride with are good at rating the tyres they use, and they use a lot of em! They were produced with heavier and bigger bikes in mind, they even do them for my other halfs ZZR1400, which IIRC the ZZR doesn't have many recommended for it.
Suppose its all down to what you want out of them, I need a good Sports Tourer tyre as I like to do a lot of mileage on them in one go, as well as the twisties of course.
Yellow 2001 SV650s,2002 VRaptor
Your Rapter looks like a sci fi robot dragon! and it breaths fire too! It singed my eye brows and boiled my eyes at the lights! smudge
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

BT020s wet and dry, all year, all roads 8)
I'm guessing I'll have to get whatever the new one is next time unless my tyre place still has some in stock

wouldn't use Dunlop207s again - nasty scary things, hope they stopped making them
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
Bfef
On the Road

Post by Bfef »

Dunlop Qualifiers - and they are terrible!
Front feels like it's got a permanent puncture and the "grip" in the wet is terrifying.
I just want them to wear down so I can get some Continental Attacks.
shebee
Site Admin
Facebook address thingy: facebook.com/shebee.duff

Post by shebee »

020's here as well - just put a new one on the front for the MOT :D
Twisted Tequila Sister
RaptorJo
On the Road

Post by RaptorJo »

I've got Avon Storm Ultras on mine, only had them on a few months, love em, can't fault them :D
Mighty Mariner
On the Road

Post by Mighty Mariner »

Bridgestone BT016 front and rear.

Superb grip levels no issues with front tyre predictable and good feel especially when braking hard into a corner.
Rear ditto seems to fall into corners at extreme angles of lean.
Wet grip also excellent in torrential rain but have not tried extreme angles of lean in the wet :roll:
On my second rear,first lasted about 1600 miles.
Edges on the front wearing out faster than the middle.
Edges on the rear wearing out at same rate as middle.
Depends on how you ride how the tyres wear out so different tyres will suit different riding styles.
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing
AZ
On the Road

Post by AZ »

Metzeler Racetechs,sc1/sc2,front and back respectively.Good all year round and in the wet ,although in the wet you have to remember that when you`re well over they have no tread and are effectively slicks.They tend to last me 1200 to 1400 miles and wear out front and back at the same time.I know they don`t last long but they do give lots of feedback and confidence and therefore safety and you can`t put a price on safety.I go through 2 sets a year and i did try other less sticky tyres that last longer but nearly lost it many times due to reduced grip.It also took away some of the funfactor as i had to hold back on my favourite roads.
NOTE; bikes do not have air brakes,lofting the front wheel will have an effect on a bikes braking efficiency.
dont arf get the adrenalin pumpin tho!!!
Miz
On the Road

Post by Miz »

I fitted a set of Maxxis Supermaxx Touring tyres before I went for a trip round Scotland, got no complaints was riding on dry roads, rain, snow and hail. Did about 2000 miles and still have over half of the rear left. Think I paid £125 for the pair
152/999
Red Mist
On the Road

Post by Red Mist »

I've got Dunlop Sportmax's on mine that were brand new when I got the bike last November. I've done 3500 miles on them now, but at best I'll only get another 1000 out of the back. A lot of my riding has involved pottering around in Winter as well.

I've never really rated them although they seem to grip well in the dry and I get the pegs down fairly regularly. I'm not convinced that the're dead stable and they are affected badly by hitting cat's eyes and white lines when cornering. They don't seem to grip as well in the dry as the Bridgestone BT-021s that I had on my previous bike, though I lost the front end of that really easy on a wet road so who knows. I was surprised to find that the Dunlops were rated really highly by Bike magazine recently. I mean, they've been okay, but surely there are better.

Might go for the new Bridgestone 023s when the time comes to change.
Ballacraine
On the Road

Post by Ballacraine »

Pirellis

Dragon Evos IIRC :?

Work well for me. :wink:

Nige. 8)
Sanity is in the eye of the Beholder.

Arrival is a byproduct of the purpose.

BallacrainesCorner
Treffynnon
On the Road

Post by Treffynnon »

The venerable Pirelli Diablo.
dizzyblonde
On the Road

Post by dizzyblonde »

Red Mist wrote:55 years agoI've got Dunlop Sportmax's I mean, they've been okay, but surely there are better.

Yeah the Avon Storm Ultras ;-)
Yellow 2001 SV650s,2002 VRaptor
Your Rapter looks like a sci fi robot dragon! and it breaths fire too! It singed my eye brows and boiled my eyes at the lights! smudge
tyremuncher
On the Road
Facebook address thingy: danny moore , hawick

Post by tyremuncher »

conti road attack,cant fault them anywhere.did have bridgestones on before,didnt like them at all.
i dont need sex,the government fu*k me everyday