Oil weep from gear selector, need to be worried?

Technical stuff specific to the Raptor 1000
Bfef
On the Road

Oil weep from gear selector, need to be worried?

Post by Bfef »

Tonight after riding home (20miles) and pulling up on the driveway I noticed some brief smoke coming from the left hand side of the bike by the footrest. Jumped off to take a look and it seems that there is a minor oil weep from the gear selector where it pokes out from the crank case which is creeping down and landing on the exhaust, hence the smoke.

Just wondering if there is anything to get worried about, should I get it checked out before something major goes wrong or is it normal for the bike to leak a bit? There is plenty of oil in the sump, I checked the sight glass and it looked clean and the right level.

Thanks for helping, BFEF.
kev
On the Road

Re: Oil weep from gear selector, need to be worried?

Post by kev »

sounds like you may have a worn oilseal on selector shaft if its not much its not a big deal sometimes they can just weap a little for ages or could get bad quickly its not a major job to do it but keep an eye on it are sure its not chain lube thats been chucked up around that area and droping on the exhaust
Fausto
On the Road

Re: Oil weep from gear selector, need to be worried?

Post by Fausto »

Yeah, I'll second what Kev said about chain lube. Would be a shame to spend ages looking for a non existant oil leak.