What engine would you choose?

Chat about anything
Aussiejoe
On the Road

What engine would you choose?

Post by Aussiejoe »

If you could graft any engine into your Raptor, what would it be? I think picking a Ducati would be self defeating, and it has to be something that has a chance of fitting, so no 2.4 litre Trumpy engines or Kwaka Z1300s.

For me, either a 883 Harley Skirtster or an Aprilla RXV550.
vassilis67
On the Road

Re: What engine would you choose?

Post by vassilis67 »

I would change me 650 engine with a 485 cc rd based motor from downunder...

www.twostrokeshop.com

110 hp and a torque that can get your hands 20cm longer...
It's all greek to me....
weirdo
On the Road

Post by weirdo »

Aprilia RSV4? :revrev:
To a Raptor....EVERYTHING else is just prey !!

WOOHOO!...TWINS!
Crap Tartan
On the Road
Location: Sitting in front of the screen in Portpatrick again

Post by Crap Tartan »

the TL lump is a peach standard and has plenty potential if you want more.

It also suits the bike and looks good.

I had a Buell XB12R which is a similar bike with a tuned sportster engine but its still a bit of a tractor.........................

If anything I`d go lazy and fit the Triumph Thunderbird twin engine. (doubt it would fit without getting out the gas axe)
nil illigitimae carborundum
Araf
On the Road

Post by Araf »

Crap Tartan wrote:the TL lump is a peach standard and has plenty potential if you want more.

It also suits the bike and looks good.

I had a Buell XB12R which is a similar bike with a tuned sportster engine but its still a bit of a tractor.........................

If anything I`d go lazy and fit the Triumph Thunderbird twin engine. (doubt it would fit without getting out the gas axe)
Likewise, I think the TL lump is as good as it gets. The only engine that can out monster it, is a Hyabusa engine, and if I'd wanted one of them, I would have bought a Hyabusa.
dizzyblonde
On the Road

Post by dizzyblonde »

Theres nowt wrong wit one thats in it

Here endeth the lesson.

:ride:

ps why the hell would you ask such a thing :?
Yellow 2001 SV650s,2002 VRaptor
Your Rapter looks like a sci fi robot dragon! and it breaths fire too! It singed my eye brows and boiled my eyes at the lights! smudge
Red Mist
On the Road

Post by Red Mist »

Always fancied a V4 but there's none of the current crop that I particularly want to own. So it would be a VFR 800 then. Like the TL, another example of a fine engine in a crappy psuedo race style bike.
cagiva_girl
On the Road

Post by cagiva_girl »

well with everything you have all done to the good ol rap the engine must be the last thing to try and change?
so many roads to travel - so many ways to get lost!
Araf
On the Road

Post by Araf »

Red Mist wrote:Always fancied a V4 but there's none of the current crop that I particularly want to own. So it would be a VFR 800 then. Like the TL, another example of a fine engine in a crappy psuedo race style bike.
I'd take the VFR750 engine, over the VFR800.

How about a Brittan lump?
shebee
Site Admin
Facebook address thingy: facebook.com/shebee.duff

Post by shebee »

Britten motor?
Twisted Tequila Sister
Araf
On the Road

Post by Araf »

shebee wrote:Britten motor?
Yes, sorry Britten. :oops:
Aussiejoe
On the Road

Post by Aussiejoe »

I'm seriously considering doing this in the future, I'm a metal fabricator so actually fitting it wouldn't be that hard, and I'd make the engine mounts so you could adjust the position of the engine.

No parallel twin or V4 would fit inside the frame rails(unless it as a very small capacity), and there is no way I would modify the frame at all, that can just lead down a road to major problems. The engine also has to fit in high enough so you don't lose ground clearance. The engine also has to be a stressed member that imparts some rigidity into the frame. I just want to build something different to what everyone else has.

A Britten, now that is more like it, know anyone that might have a spare one lying around Araf?

A single would also fit in, maybe a 2 stroke single dirt bike engine like a CR500 or an IT495.
RaptorJo
On the Road

Post by RaptorJo »

Being a woman I don't really understand the question :lol: Don't you just buy another bike :D
slix2110
On the Road
Facebook address thingy: sussex hydrografix

Post by slix2110 »

How about a ktm 990 lump? Having said that, an rsv mille V2 would work, but why not just tune the devil you know rather than faffing around with new ecu, exhausts and wiring etc? I believe the tl lump is pretty bombproof.....
Aussiejoe
On the Road

Post by Aussiejoe »

It's the challenge of doing it, and I'm a guy, we have to stuff with things :lol:
I just want my raptor to be different, just like I'm looking at getting a rear wheel hugger for it made up like the one on a Bimota Mantra.
Was going to customize a pop up head light Suzuki Katana and make a a triple pop up headlight fairing out of alloy and graft in a bored GSX1100EFE engine. The only reason I didn't was because I had to use it for my courier bike, and someone decided to do a u-turn in front of me while I was doing 60 km/h. The frame got bent in the crash. I'm also looking at the possibility of racing it and exploiting some rules or being able to race it in a different class. I will also look at getting a different tank, probably make one out of alloy, so the original doesn't get wrecked. I just love that chassis, and even if I throw everything else away and replace the lot with parts off other bikes, it will be fun to do. I'm already in the process of doing that cause Cagiva stock no spare parts in Australia, it's a 6 to 8 week wait , but if I can put aftermarket or parts from another Jap make on it, it will be easier to source parts in the future.

Thanks to everyone for the creative responses, the question obviously got people thinking!