exhaust wrap, who is using it?

Technical stuff specific to the Raptor 650
superaptor
On the Road

exhaust wrap, who is using it?

Post by superaptor »

is it okay to wrap my exhausts headers and links on my 650 ? i heard some rumors about the possible complications about this easy mod, sounds like one of my exes lol... 1) void of warranty and possible failure on double wall exhausts on canam spyders 2) possibility of running lean with the EFI system and/or high flow airfilter 3) trapped moisture/rust problem on headers 4) ... and now i just read about the heat problem on the gray seals (not the mammals in Britain) i assume these are on the exhaust joints? correct me if i am wrong..
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, dude? i mea holly crap , MJs nose job did cause this many complications FFS! would it hurt my engine bad if i do a single wrap on my exhaust headers all the way to the mufflers wihout overlapping and using the silicone shield spray? not concerned about the moisture problem since i drive often four seasons (playing the most aggressive part by Antonio Vivaldi in the background) :p

ps sorry i had to edit this since i desperately need some info in regards this because i neither want to fry parts on my bike nor shoot flames towards vehicles behind me
shedmonkey
APM

Re: exhaust wrap, who is using it?

Post by shedmonkey »

The headers on the 1000 are stainless(albeit poor quality) so i dont think corrosion would be a big problem. Dont think they are double skin either(please correct me if im wrong). Mixture may be affected prob best check this after fitting try a plug chop(take it for a run kill ignition and check plug colour) or get an expert in. The exhaust seals seem to fail even without the mod so just keep your eye on it. Dont know if this helps .Good luck
Bit of a Muppet
superaptor
On the Road

Post by superaptor »

thanks for the tip 'shed', are you talking about the copper seals on the cylinder heads or the exhaust joints? what would happen if they fail? just leak fumes? as long as it doesnt cause havoc i wouldnt care until i find new seals..
Hairy_Mark
Hirsute Maximus Spanner...I do Technical Me ;)

Post by Hairy_Mark »

Superraptor,
more of a question, than advice. What do you mean by over-wrapping and why would you want to do it? Any form of insulation will increase the temperature of the pipes. The copper gaskets won't be affected, they melt at over 1300C. Your aluminium head melts at less than 1000C, so by the time your exhaust gaskets are at risk, your engine's blown up. You'll want to jump off the Raptor long before any of this happens.
Legal disclaimer :
The author has recently been declared sane.
He thanks Dr Foster for this and hopes his
clothes dry out after the puddle incident.
vassilis67
On the Road

Post by vassilis67 »

I think that exhaust wrap is the best way to save mud from lying around in the streets...
It's all greek to me....
dizzyblonde
On the Road

Post by dizzyblonde »

I have read that wrapping the rear header, would help to stop the shock boiling its bonce, and peeing its lubrication on the floor.......

dunno if its the same set up in pipes on the 650 as the 1000.
Yellow 2001 SV650s,2002 VRaptor
Your Rapter looks like a sci fi robot dragon! and it breaths fire too! It singed my eye brows and boiled my eyes at the lights! smudge
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

dizzyblonde wrote:55 years agoI have read that wrapping the rear header, would help to stop the shock boiling its bonce, and peeing its lubrication on the floor.......
/.
now that might be a good plan - but how long are shocks supposed to last?
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
dizzyblonde
On the Road

Post by dizzyblonde »

How longs a piece of string, I suppose.

The last Raptor shock I saw go, just went randomly for no reason after a ride.........and peed all over my patio :yuck:
Your Rapter looks like a sci fi robot dragon! and it breaths fire too! It singed my eye brows and boiled my eyes at the lights! smudge
Miz
On the Road

Post by Miz »

I have heard that wrapping is OK so long as your pipes never see water, the wrapping traps water next to the exhaust and promotes corrosion, I would look into ceramic coating if you want to "tart" up your exhaust.

Ceramic Coating
152/999
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

dizzyblonde wrote:55 years agoHow longs a piece of string, I suppose.

The last Raptor shock I saw go, just went randomly for no reason after a ride.........and peed all over my patio :yuck:
nod nod, i'm on my second. I guess I may need to start looking for an aftermarket replacement when this one goes, unless someone refurbishes the originals
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
dizzyblonde
On the Road

Post by dizzyblonde »

I gave the old one to a mate of mine who has a severe fetish for suspension. He took it apart and said ..in his words .. 'a bag of wa## and not worth bothering to take apart in the first place'...charming!! :snooty:

He is a qualified mech eng, and builds alsorts of bikes, so its likely hes right :?