my cagiva just died

Technical stuff specific to the Raptor 650
kriss
On the Road

my cagiva just died

Post by kriss »

just took my cagiva 650 out for the first time and it died a death. symptoms are, started on 2 cylinders and pulled away fine then after 2 mins cut onto 1 cylinder then died a death. battery seemed flat as. pushed bike home as never went far just had this feeling as you do. when i got home put battery on charge for about 3 mins and it started no probs at all. now could it be battery or stator or both?. when i rev it with headlight on the brightness does not increase as if its getting some charge. any help would be most greatfull for. :) its a 2001 cagiva 650 raptor. just found out from previous owner who had owned it for 4 years and done 11k on it that he had never fitted a new battery.
2008 fz1n, 2001 650 raptor,
pod
On the Road

Re: my cagiva just died

Post by pod »

I suspect the regulator rectifier, your test with the headlights suggests this, a voltmeter across the battery with the motor running should show a rise to 13.5 volts when the revs pick up.

My bike is the same age , I fitted a new battery around 20K about 5 years ago. When it failed the bike would still run after a bump start , it just had no guts left for the electric start.

Check the main battery terminals arnt corroded
Stay calm.
kriss
On the Road

Post by kriss »

pod wrote:55 years agoI suspect the regulator rectifier, your test with the headlights suggests this, a voltmeter across the battery with the motor running should show a rise to 13.5 volts when the revs pick up.

My bike is the same age , I fitted a new battery around 20K about 5 years ago. When it failed the bike would still run after a bump start , it just had no guts left for the electric start.

Check the main battery terminals arnt corroded
many thanks for your quick reply, where do i find the reg/retifier please ? is it a simple job? many thanks again :thumbsup:
pod
On the Road

Post by pod »

The reg rec is a finned metal box, follow the leads from the generator on the LHS around the gearbox sprocket, they go to the reg/rec.

Its number 39 in this pic
http://www.oemmotorparts.com/oem5.asp?M ... A-RAP-2_BS

behind the LHS panel.

A Suzuki SV650 K1 or something similar will be a good replacement.
Stay calm.
kriss
On the Road

Post by kriss »

pod wrote:55 years agoThe reg rec is a finned metal box, follow the leads from the generator on the LHS around the gearbox sprocket, they go to the reg/rec.

Its number 39 in this pic
http://www.oemmotorparts.com/oem5.asp?M ... A-RAP-2_BS

behind the LHS panel.

A Suzuki SV650 K1 or something similar will be a good replacement.
many thanks pod, got it off just to check conections. will get volt meter and check again. have found a new sv650k1 reg/rec and cheaper than i expected with all the right conections so hopefully once sorted no more dieing out, thanks again pod you,ve been more than helpfull :thumbsup:
kriss
On the Road

Post by kriss »

new reg/rec just arrived but lights still NOT getting any brighter on reving. could it be the yellow wires need changing around on new rec how would i know? also do these things get warm quick as this one did when fitted for 1 minute :thumbsup:
dizzyblonde
On the Road

Post by dizzyblonde »

SV reg/recs are reknowned for failing, or frying into a nice crispy ball.
I've had to replace both of mine, on both my SVs.

You may have just picked up a duff one........they aren't supposed to feel tooooo warm!

I can't remember for the life in me which 'other' bikes the techies suggest for replacements on the SV. Honda rings a bell. cbr rr reg/rec Fh008. Wiring the same, connectors different iirc.

Or just read this thread, plenty of suggestions and some pictures....I'm presuming its Suzuki SV wiring anyway.

http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php? ... +rectifier
Yellow 2001 SV650s,2002 VRaptor
Your Rapter looks like a sci fi robot dragon! and it breaths fire too! It singed my eye brows and boiled my eyes at the lights! smudge
kriss
On the Road

Post by kriss »

i bought a brand new sv650 rec/reg which arrived today the red and black wires in one plug match up. i was wondering if the 3 yellow wires did not match for some reason hence the overheating or could this be a duff unit?. my bike is a 2001 650 raptor.
kriss
On the Road

Post by kriss »

just checked new rec/reg again and 2 minutes ticking over the rear of it gets warm not hot but warm. if i fit old one it stays cold hence my question could the yellow wires be in wrong order/position?
Miz
On the Road

Post by Miz »

The reason for the fins is to dissipate heat.

Have you got a multi/volt meter to check the voltage as this is a better check than the headlight brightness.

If you don't have a meter, where are you? Maybe someone near to you would be willing to help out.
152/999
pod
On the Road

Post by pod »

It should get warm when its working, the genny runs flat out , the reg rec dumps excess electrical energy as heat once the battery is fully charged.
Stay calm.
shedmonkey
APM

Post by shedmonkey »

Dont worry about yellow wires order they are doing the same thing ie supplying ac to the reg rec. Do the wires get hot. Would have thought the unit would get warm but not hot. Its either a duff reg rec or have you got a short circuit somewhere? Any insulation worn through anywhere?
What markings are on the new one?

If you fully charge the battery then the lights should be almost fully bright if not then yopu might have a wiring problem ,bad connection bad earth or short circuit.
Bit of a Muppet
kriss
On the Road

Post by kriss »

Miz wrote:55 years agoThe reason for the fins is to dissipate heat.

Have you got a multi/volt meter to check the voltage as this is a better check than the headlight brightness.

If you don't have a meter, where are you? Maybe someone near to you would be willing to help out.
im in kidderminster in worcs. ive just fitted a brand new battery aswell.i thought the headlights always got brighter when you reved up?. many thanks for your help/advice.
kriss
On the Road

Post by kriss »

shedmonkey wrote:55 years agoDont worry about yellow wires order they are doing the same thing ie supplying ac to the reg rec. Do the wires get hot. Would have thought the unit would get warm but not hot. Its either a duff reg rec or have you got a short circuit somewhere? Any insulation worn through anywhere?
What markings are on the new one?

If you fully charge the battery then the lights should be almost fully bright if not then yopu might have a wiring problem ,bad connection bad earth or short circuit.
the new rec/reg is not getting hot just warm on the rear where its sealed.the wires are not getting hot. the only reason i thought it was duff was it getting warm and no increase in brightness of headlight when i rev it but bear in mind ive just fitted a brand new battery aswell and fully charged. thanks everyone for all your help and advice and hopefully one day soon it will be sorted :thumbsup:
Miz
On the Road

Post by Miz »

OK, it could be that the new one is getting warm as it is working, the old one is cold as it is doing nothing. Modern electronics mean that the output voltage is better controlled so you do not notice the difference in the brightness of the lights.

Have you bolted the regulator to its fixing, some need the earth/grounding of the fixing to work correctly.
152/999