Lights alll awry

Technical stuff specific to the Raptor 1000
snapdragon

Lights alll awry

Post by snapdragon »

Where do I start looking for the fault?
I switch headlight on and the full beam indicator light comes on and then flashes - but full beam not selected and neither headlight nor pilot light working.
Currently avoiding going out in the dark, but MoT due so I have to sort it soon :?
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
shedmonkey
APM

Re: Lights alll awry

Post by shedmonkey »

Is it not working at all or very dim? If you have an earth fault it might be possible for an intermittent back feed through the high beam. The system isnt too complicated so take the connectors off and make sure they are clean, look for worn insulation could be shorting,check fuses. Does rear light work?

I suppose its even possible for the low beam element in the bulb to be broken and touching the high beam terminal. Have you tried a new bulb?
Bit of a Muppet
bazzywazz
On the Road

Post by bazzywazz »

May be just the bulb. dip element broken and touching main beam element.
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

cheers :) I'll hoik out the bulb tomorrow and have a look, and do some contact checkin/ cleaning while I'm at it
SnappY
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

Well the bulb's fine - but in the bundle of wires coming round the headstock I find the sheathing starting to break away, the bundle bent (kinked) and one wire barely holding on, a blue one, so problem 1. found? (although the repair might take a while as I'm no lectrician) have you noticed the similarity between electr ician and mag ician ?

So problem 2
checked the other lights/indicators yes, yes, - brake lights - ?? where's my brake lights ? nope none at all

rear light unit was replaced with an LED unit a good while back - works when poked and jiggled so there's sommat loose somewhere, bugger! new unit required methinks

ho hum
SnappY
Crap Tartan
On the Road
Location: Sitting in front of the screen in Portpatrick again

Post by Crap Tartan »

Hi Snap, if needed i`m sure I have a spare rear light unit you can have if thats what is wrong.

Best of luck with the wiring. Strip the black covering back in the suspect area as if there is one wire damaged there is always the possibility of more. Best to replace the whole wire in my opinion.

If only I was closer would sort it for you (easy stuff when its your trade)
nil illigitimae carborundum
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

cheers CT - maybe I should move house? :) am sure I have a replacement original light fitting somewhere, so I'll have a search.
Local mate has offered to fit replacement wire for the headlight, as you say there will be more and I'll need to identify them, Also I'm not keen on riding without a brake light
ah well after 160 cold miles yesterday I didn'y really need to go ride in the sunshine

looks like I'll be borrowing the dragon's kwacker tomorrow - damm thing too tall for me, so I'm going to sneakily tweak the shock for my weight - noone will notice ;) ?
SnappY
Crap Tartan
On the Road

Post by Crap Tartan »

am sure you will get there with a little help!

I`m closer than i was being a new member of the Cumbria Cagiva Mafioso now!!!

are the brake lights working from neither brake then? If so it makes it easier to find as its got to be on the common feed.
shedmonkey
APM

Post by shedmonkey »

the blue one is the earth so thats probably the problem. If the brake light works with a wiggle worth breaking it open to have alook inside .

Where you living now CT? im working in Millom on wed.
Bit of a Muppet
Crap Tartan
On the Road

Post by Crap Tartan »

Moved into new home in Whitehaven 2/3 weeks ago, am away from home working at present but start new job at Eskmeals at end of April.

Roll on the summer.................................. :woot: :happyhappy: :ride:
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

shedmonkey - is the blue one from the headlight an earth? or did you mean from tail light? or both?

am officially rubbish at this, didn't yet identify other damaged wires since 'someone elses' bike needed a tidy for MoT :x

the connectors from the old tail light are still there in a poor state so I don't think i'll be fitting the replacement 'original'.
SnappY
shebee
Site Admin
Facebook address thingy: facebook.com/shebee.duff

Post by shebee »

:ride: if you can get down here over next weekend Boss has a Fluke meter and is not afraid to use it xx :tada:
Twisted Tequila Sister
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

shebee wrote:55 years ago :ride: if you can get down here over next weekend Boss has a Fluke meter and is not afraid to use it xx :tada:
LOL just the rest of the population afraid :woot:

If I can get the brake light working so am safe to travel I'll do that :thumbsup: but don't want to go anywhere without it - would not be happy to be rear ended (and it be my fault) :ouch:

thinking i may be trying Mr shed's idea 'break it open and have a look inside' - am good at breaking stuff
SnappY
shedmonkey
APM

Post by shedmonkey »

The blue wires are all earths but the darker blue not the light blue . If in doubt get the hammer out.
Bit of a Muppet
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

shedmonkey wrote:55 years ago-/ If in doubt get the hammer out.
:lol: I might , but I've ordered a replacement motrax rear unit to be going on with (should arrive by wednesday - along with the bad weather probably) of two local shops one is 'closed mondays' :x other had a chrome clad unit at twice the price :(

I'm currently (!) considering a 'home made' solution to the broken headlight wire - something akin to darning socks :wink: which might work for a while
SnappY